Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,458   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spotting?

Shooter
    35mm

spotting?

Does spotting work on resin coated (multigrade iv) prints ?
    The reason I ask is I'm trying to print a shot of shadows falling on a fairly dark wall. In placees the surface of the wall has chipped off revealing white chalky patches - which look like large spots on the print.
    Any suggestions ? Is it possble to burn such localised small areas ?

Any ideas gratefully rec'd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis
    Does spotting work on resin coated (multigrade iv) prints ?

Yes, spotting works on RC paper. At least the Spotone fluid does. As for the chipped parts being burned in....just clone em out in photochop....KIDDING....please don't hurt me...please!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Lewis,

I often create dodging/burning masks by scanning a test print and priniting it out about half size. Some 3-M spray cement mounts it to black construction paper (you could use an ink-jet on heavy paper, I just use my laser printer) and then I cut out the areas I want to burn. I use a piece of paper below the mask as a "shutter" and a watch that beeps once a second to control the exposure. You would be amazed at how quick and easy it is to make some really complicated masks this way.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can burn in small spots but it takes practice. If it's real small then it may not be possible. Spotting RC paper can be frustrating (to me anyway) as the spotone doesn't sink in and dry quicly. Be carefull when touching the ink with the paper towel as you may cause it to streak. Blot, don't wipe.
    My 2 biggest problems are the spotone was not diluted enough and went on too dark on the first go, or I goofed up and didn't blend (for lack of a better word) enough and touch up was more noticable than the original spots. Oh and I sometimes suffer from coffee shakes too which is not good for fine touch ups.

Any one who is doing retouching or spotting I'd suggest Veronica Cass dyes.
    www.veronicacass.com.

You can buy a 4 oz bottle for about $5.00 and it will last forever. I use mauve on both negatives and prints. Or you can buy midnight. I use warmtone for sepia/selenium prints.

I'm amazed at the number of people that will rather do anything other than spot or retouch a print or negative. It is a very easy procedure and if you would like some help learning please feel free to personal mail me.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Images
    Good Afternoon, Neal,

Thanks for a great idea! Here I have a scanner and a laser printer and could have been turning out custom-made dodging tools for years; all I lacked (as usual) was the necessary imagination.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Spotting RC paper is usually easier for me than spotting fiber. Spotone isn't absorbed as fast so you can dab it off quickly if you use too much. Don't use hardener in your fixer for best results.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I find spotting very easy on fiber paper and even knowing where the spots are people can't see the "cover up". I use the Spotone Dyes. I however have had little success with RC paper. You can spot it (the dyes) a mile away. I've had some success on RC paper using a very soft pencil lightly applied to areas. But only in the lighter tones.
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a concensus that RC paper can be spotted, but not whether it is harder or easier than FB paper.

My experience is that spotting RC paper is no easier or harder than spotting FB paper. Furthermore, I find spotting to be relatively easy to do.

Several folks have mentioned Spottone. It is my understanding that the company that made Spottone has gone out of business. I know that when I was in Adorama a couple of months ago, they had only one or two bottles of Spottone left. Veronica Cass makes spotting fluids, and the "new kid on the block" is Marshall's.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Etching the spots right off the neg with a knife is another option, but if you're shooting 35mm it can be difficult (possibly not, if the background is very uniform and the "white" spot very easy to isolate), and might merit doing an enlarged neg.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin