Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,118   Online: 879

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging notes

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    We are putting tones on paper, this is a visual thing not a written thing, you should concentrate on the negative and let its natural balance come out.
    50 % of dodging and burning is to compensate for the generational loss of density mainly at the edges of the print.
    the other dodging and burning is to lead the viewers eye to areas of interest.
    This is a very simple concept and after a few prints obvious to printmakers.

One would have to have 30 years of experience in printmaking to believe that what the OP is showing is the way to make prints. Those notes are silly and any compentent printer would throw them out.

If one is concentrating on notes like this to make prints then good luck with that, IMO these notes are simple wank.
    Printing should be simple and no my standards are not low if that is what you are implying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob, certainly not implying your standards are anything less than top notch. But there are plenty of mediocre or hack printers around who preach that a good subject and a properly developed negative makes for a simple print. I just don't agree, and there are many examples I can point to.

We've discussed this before, I think. I have nothing but respect for your experience, but our philosophies are totally different. I just can't agree that 50% of dodging and burning is for the edges and that the remainder is for directing the eye. That would seem to apply only to some types of subject matter, or to a particular printer's aesthetic preferences.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    We can disagree , I saw you post as an diss on simple printmaking that I enjoy doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Making prints is just another art form

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    We can disagree , I saw you post as an diss on simple printmaking that I enjoy doing.
    Making prints is also another form of expression. We have different philosophies on how to approach it. There are no right and wrongs here. As Adams says "The negative is the score, and the print is the performance." How you interpret the score is up to you.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Making prints is also another form of expression. We have different philosophies on how to approach it. There are no right and wrongs here. As Adams says "The negative is the score, and the print is the performance." How you interpret the score is up to you.
    How about the image is the music and the capture is what you hear.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Not at all, Bob. Apologies if it came off that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    How about the image is the music and the capture is what you hear.
    What's the print, then? The recording?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    What's the print, then? The recording?
    Yes and if you dodge and burn when you play it back you are using the wow wow pedal.
    Last edited by cliveh; 09-13-2013 at 03:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Large Format
    I suppose that much dodging and burning is possible, if your job is to spend all week perfecting one photograph.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    I suppose that much dodging and burning is possible, if your job is to spend all week perfecting one photograph.
    No, it's just Bull shit.

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin