Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,833   Online: 833

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Enlarging notes

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree, my point in a nutshell, its marketing bull to make ones work look more complicated than it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I agree with all above, but thought I would let others comment first. It makes him look skilful though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't claim to even begin to understand all that notation. Not that I'm capable of judging any printer's technique.
    Given that my monitor is not going to show subtle tones, I don't see many of the differences in gradation which the selective manipulation indicated would give, such as in the sky. It seems like the main difference is the final print is lighter. I actually like the more somber look of the first marked-up print if it were made a bit lighter overall, with just a little more lightening up in a few places. It would appear from the the intentions conveyed by the notes that there would have to be significant masking of straight lines.
    I'm wondering if these notes are a plan or just a record of what was done.
    Last edited by lxdude; 09-13-2013 at 05:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I agree, my point in a nutshell, its marketing bull to make ones work look more complicated than it really is.
    You're agreeing with this guy??? Yikes. I'm gonna have to get Dinesh in here to clean up this mess.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can envision a professional darkroom technician, working for a major photographic consortium, having to (or being taught by mentors how to) use markup such as was illustrated - so that additional prints could be made by other printers.

Working for myself, I make sketches on my notes. But they are very rough - generally a few dodge/burn notes (that I would know anyway if I reprinted the negative). I re-read my notes later to see what I used for f/stop and enlarger height - the notes are reliably useful for that. I get it that some printers don't need notes, or ignore them if they make them. Most of the time I am printing a new negative anyway, so the notes don't help in that case.

When we try to expose and develop negatives for the perfect printable negative, it's not because we expect to be able to print without controls. It's just to improve the statistical possibility that any one negative won't be really hard to print. It's just a plain good habit.

Most of my negatives do not require such heroic measures as the sketches show. But then none of my prints has hit the heart and soul of the public. I hope if it happens, that the particular negative is easy to print. Otherwise, I will farm out the work to Bob Carnie.

But I imagine things are different when the negative you have to print has ALREADY hit the big time. Then you HAVE to work with the negative you've got. Chances are it's a bear to print, because the wonderful photographer who took the photograph... Was most likely NOT as capable a technician as you. I am speaking statistically, not with any one photographer in mind... A photographer who takes an amazing photograph is statistically likely to possess less technical ability than the typical APUG correspondent.

My point is that I think it's practically a given that a "Lottery Winner" will require complex dodging and burning. I think the drawings are real.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post

My point is that I think it's practically a given that a "Lottery Winner" will require complex dodging and burning. I think the drawings are real.
    I've never been able to duplicate a print from notes I've made of past printing. If I'm reprinting an image I may as well start from scratch using proven elevation and f- Stop but base exposure, burn and dodging simply don't hold up over time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Osgood View Post
    I've never been able to duplicate a print from notes I've made of past printing. If I'm reprinting an image I may as well start from scratch using proven elevation and f- Stop but base exposure, burn and dodging simply don't hold up over time.
    Since I have a fluorescent light source that has no regulator, I've not been able to duplicate one print next to the following one. And my dodging is never the same. Sometimes I will get the moves just right and sometimes I will wonder how the light got around my thumbs. But hopefully it's "all within tolerance", and that makes my time in the darkroom "interesting".

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    You're agreeing with this guy??? Yikes. I'm gonna have to get Dinesh in here to clean up this mess.
    I yams what I yams as popeye would say. bring on Dinesh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Since I have a fluorescent light source that has no regulator, I've not been able to duplicate one print next to the following one.
    Bill, I worked with a similar primitive setup and was eventually able to establish good repeatability. I posted about it back in 2007, I believe. Did you ever see that? The workaround was to only start a printing sequence or test strip when the lamphouse was at 40C. The second point was to not alter the sequential order of dodging and burning steps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IntensityTemp.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	74343

Name:	TempRecovery.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	74344
    Last edited by ic-racer; 09-14-2013 at 09:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Bill, I worked with a similar primitive setup and was eventually able to establish good repeatability. I posted about it back in 2007, I believe. Did you ever see that? The workaround was to only start a printing sequence or test strip when the lamphouse was at 40C. The second point was to not alter the sequential order of dodging and burning steps.

Name:	IntensityTemp.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	74343

Name:	TempRecovery.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	74344
    That sounds great! You know I added a CdS cell connected to an Ohm-meter (lit up by a Jobo Minilux) and I document the Ohms readouts on my notes.

Then - like you wait for 40C, I wait for about 400K Ohms. Literally meaningless, but if the numbers stay in a range ~390K - 500K Ohms, then the work for that session will be "within tolerance". But this doesn't give me more than, say, 1/3 stop exposure control. Which, if that makes or breaks a print of mine... then there are going to be some that are better than others in the final stack...

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I make and use printing maps. They save some initial steps from being duplicated, but mine are recorded in f/stops to be more flexible to equipment and material changes.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin