Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,510   Online: 1008

Shooter
    35mm

Durst M601 focus issue

Hi all,

I've recently acquired a Durst M601 in a pretty grimey, but complete state. All seems to be working well except the focus adjustment which extends the bellows. The know on the right hand side is turned to raise and lower them however it just spins. It appears this knob is connected to a shaft that runs next to the right hand guide rod. There is a set screw that applies pressure to a tang which in turn applies pressure to the knob shaft (sorry but couldn't come up with another name) . It doesn't seem to matter whether the set screw is tightened fully or even removed. The focus knob just spins having no effect on the guide rod. It's as if something is worn and slipping. There is some crusted white stuff in there that could either be a lube or friction material but I can't tell which by its age. It's not even clear if the knob shaft makes contact with the guide rod as it's a little hard to see. Does anyone have any experience maintaining these enlargers and know how I can get the adjuster to grip the guide rod?

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Crisis averted.

I gave the guide rods a good clean and applied some lanolin on a rag to it. After a few goes it now moves smoothly using the dial/knob.

It seems a fine layer of surface corrosion was causing the rods to stick.

Shooter
    35mm
    Good job. Have fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm glad you got the problem sorted. This is a really good enlarger. I've been using one for more than 10 years with no complaints. Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had exact issue. Found this thread. After cleaning the rods and applying a bit grease to the right one (which is engaged with focusing knob) focusing mechanism began to work flawlessly. Thanks for posting your solution, it was not obvious for me that grease can help.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin