Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,830   Online: 1116

Shooter
    Medium Format

40mm lens on De Vere 504 Coverage

Quick question for anyone who may use a 40mm lens with a De Vere 504.

The situation is that I need to do a 20x30" print (image size) from a 35mm neg. In fact the neg has to be cropped slightly so enlargement size is closer to 22x32." I'm currently in-between darkrooms for a couple of months so do not have all my equipment set up. Normally I would use my drop baseboard 504 with a 50mm lens, but this is in storage just now. I have my bench model 504 set up at a friend's darkroom where I will be printing, but will I get enough coverage for such a print with a 50mm? I suspect not.

However, I do have a Leitz enlarger with an excellent 40mm lens. If I use this lens on the bench 504, will it cover such an enlargement? I will take the lens to the darkroom to do a test next time I'm there, but just checking first if anyone clever, and using such a lens has got a clue.

Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.jollinger.com/photo/enlargers/devere.html

I guess you can, though the link doesn't say on what focallenght.

Shooter
    35mm
    With the Varicon head (double condenser) I suspect not, but with a Dichromat (diffusion) 'maybe'. The other problem you may find is the distance between the lens and the column being too small to fit the easel in the position you need. I recall that the attachments between the head & stage and the column were also available in slightly different lengths, depending on expected use, so that is another variable. Nowadays I only have a 203 with a Varicon so can't check the results directly. Please let us know how it goes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    With the Varicon head (double condenser) I suspect not, but with a Dichromat (diffusion) 'maybe'. The other problem you may find is the distance between the lens and the column being too small to fit the easel in the position you need. I recall that the attachments between the head & stage and the column were also available in slightly different lengths, depending on expected use, so that is another variable. Nowadays I only have a 203 with a Varicon so can't check the results directly. Please let us know how it goes.
    Having been down to the dark today to check and the answer is it does cover. Was surprised and looks like a RRBeard 20x30" easel would fit on the baseboard too. Full frame 35mm would print up to 23x34.5". Luckily there is another 504 next to it to help fitting the easel. Didn't actually print anything as was just checking so can't be sure the coverage is perfect. I'm far too used to a 50mm and a drop baseboard.

However, for various reasons, especially how it fits with other prints in the exhibition I'm working on for the client, I may have to produce the the print a different way and that may involve pixels combined with silver gelatin so maybe it's best to finish this thread!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Is that with a Varicon head, or one of the colour heads on the 504? Sounds convenient with the head to column distance too - my 203 has an unusually short distance, much less than the 504 I used to use at work

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    Is that with a Varicon head, or one of the colour heads on the 504? Sounds convenient with the head to column distance too - my 203 has an unusually short distance, much less than the 504 I used to use at work
    It's the Ilford 500 Multigrade head which is around the same size as a De Vere colour.

40 mm is probably a wide angle design for 35 mm film. My experience is WA work fine with diffusion, and not worth zip on condensers. I have tried four always with the same result. Double glass neg carriers do not help either, corners are still fuzzy, yet they work on diffusion. Can`t explain it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin