Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,685   Posts: 1,482,257   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Plus one for the other suggestions. Fortunately I haven't needed to remove a black spot for quite some time but in addition to the scalpel method it would be handy to have some Dremel burs and stones (or get some dental ones from your dentist). They work well for abrading with a light touch. Practice on a throw away print. Spotting when the emulsion has been removed might result in a more obvious black spot.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quick question to Ian and all..

I have not selenium toned the prints yet, should I tone after knifing or does it matter???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should do it after toning etc once the print's dry.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thanks Ian

I will give it a go.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You should do it after toning etc once the print's dry.

Ian

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the etching technique as the best archival of a lot of bad alternatives. However, the unavoidable resulting emulsion breaks, though not much better by bleaching, visible at angles on glossy papers absolutely gives me the shivers on an otherwise "perfect" print. So much so that I have thrown out entire runs of otherwise fine prints to reprint them if the problem was not on the negative itself (i.e., during enlarging). One of a kind, hand made prints ...ahem .

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am between a rock and a hard place on this one, just got the knife, got to keep it away from my throat if I screw up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I second the etching technique as the best archival of a lot of bad alternatives. However, the unavoidable resulting emulsion breaks, though not much better by bleaching, visible at angles on glossy papers absolutely gives me the shivers on an otherwise "perfect" print. So much so that I have thrown out entire runs of otherwise fine prints to reprint them if the problem was not on the negative itself (i.e., during enlarging). One of a kind, hand made prints ...ahem .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My cats are white, with white hair, so do you recommend an alternative technique?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Google "Lugols Solution". A mixture of iodine and iodide. Apply to hair line or black spot with a fine brush,on the dry print. Rinse and re-fix to clear the brown stain. Bleaches back to paper base white.
    It works very well.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Clarification..

Just checked my notes -the above procedure is for a wet print, excess water swabbed off.
    To use on a dry print,clear the stain with a 10% solution of Thiourea,and wipe off with Methylated Spirits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    This is why you use a gummed envelope (not the self sealing type) and after knifing the hair repair the surface by dissolving a small amount of the gum in a drop of water and applying with a fine brush. As with all retouching working too hard to remove an imperfection can make it worse a light touch is needed.

Steaming the surface of a print will also lessen the effects of a retouching knife.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin