Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,423   Online: 1207

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    As, I dare say, would most of us humans. I recall AA's spotter, whose name escapes me, announcing on this forum a few years back, that she was available for projects again. I posted at that time that I would love to take a workshop from her (just about the only workshop I would consider taking). I think most of us classical printing non-machines would love to learn and/or hone our skills beyond catch–as–catch–can results.
    Ah, you probably remember Katherine Gillis' introduction:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum53/105049-spotter-retoucher-prints-negatives.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah, I was thinking of Phyllis Donohue, but, indeed, I meant Katherine Gillis—she spots the Ansel Adams Special Editions, which Alan continues to print. That's quite a feat, considering two fine canines, dusty desert, and a kitty.

Thanks for sharing that post, Bill.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Bob, I'm weighing in a bit late but I often used the scalpel method with great success. The trick is to "shave" away the offending area gradually, then go back in and spot with a stippling effect. You must practice on a scrap print first. I used to make exhibition prints for a professional railroad photographer, and his prints looked like the negs had been run over by a locomotive. I hated doing editions for him. By the time I was done working a print, I'd be cross-eyed but at least he could not find where I worked the prints over, only if you held the print at a glare angle. Eventually he allowed me to spot the backside of his negatives, but passed away suddenly. I prefer this over scraping the print surface.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ok so my retoucher Rose Sheler is back from Europe .. she is amazing btw for the bleach retouch.

So here is another question... I had her retouch on 30 x40 murals, the black hairs were very small and she has retouched just these small areas,.
    I have refixed, selenium toned and now washing.

since she only retouched very small areas what are your thoughts on wash time after this second fix proceedure and then toning???

btw I am going to wash for and hour , but I question if its really needed since were are talking about very small areas compared to print size.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_1243.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	78415Attachment 78414Attachment 78414

Ok a bit of an update... bleach retouching on the print is a real pain in the ass if you are doing murals.

25 30 x40 inch murals printed washed and dryed properly,
    then hand bleached by Rose Scheler of Toronto.

then Re fixed , selenium toned , hypo clear and wash to normal standards...

This is basically double the physical work and IMO too much handling , I am investigating a machine to use Old School that vibrates the negative and then density is applied to the negative to print white so that I do not have to go through this every time.

I brought Brad Pitt into the lab to pose with Paulette as she does the hard work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That isn't an optical illusion, he really is that short!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    That isn't an optical illusion, he really is that short!
    You are like a mite on a dog , hard to get rid of.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin