Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,948   Posts: 1,557,868   Online: 840

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Black Hair on Print removal

I need to remove black hairs that are on a few prints.

I have done bleach enhancement but never spotted prints to remove hairs or dust marks.

Any tips?? I am thinking of spotting on dry print and following up my spots with a dab of fix until the mark is removed.

Then refixing the whole print toning , hypo clear and normal wash.

help require from those who do this type of thing.

thanks
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm
    Sheet negs from darkslides? Might it be more practical to fill in on the negs and then retouch on the print, as it's often easier (for me, but I'm a clumsy amateur for a few decades now...) to add density than remove it. The only times I tried knifing it left a noticeable surface-texture mark, even if the density was ok-ish.

Re-reading, it sounds as though it might be too late for neg-work though, sorry.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    yes supplied neg , murals are done, in future I will work on neg to remove the hair, but right now I need to bleach retouch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Knife them with a fine scalpel blade it's quite easy, use a gummed envelope (drop or two water and ant retouching dye needed) and a spotting brush to cover up the knife marks. It's far easier than it sounds. It was the standard technique for over a century. and it does work

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Keep the cat out of the darkroom.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, it was probably not a cat in a darkroom, but a dusty/dirty darkslide or changing-bag leaving a hair on the film-surface at the time of exposure. That unexposed area on the film then makes the black line on the print.

Does ferricyanide attack that paint-on rubber-mask material? Might be worth a try to localise the effect a bit? Depends on the size of the area of course.

The alternative possible technique with knifing also depends on the specific area of background one has to match of course. Mr.Carnie is well aware of the options I think.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I’m not a fan of spotting, just as a painter may make a mistake in a brush stroke, then so may a photographer leave a stain/mark when producing a particular process. It is the mark of the maker and as such is unique. Don’t spot or knife, leave alone as part of the spontaneous production of the image.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Knife them with a fine scalpel blade it's quite easy, use a gummed envelope (drop or two water and ant retouching dye needed) and a spotting brush to cover up the knife marks. It's far easier than it sounds. It was the standard technique for over a century. and it does work

Ian
    This worked for me to prove the concept. Unfortunately I got a bit carried away spotting back. Scratch one dangerous treehouse. Good thing I made two.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    I need to remove black hairs that are on a few prints.

I have done bleach enhancement but never spotted prints to remove hairs or dust marks.

Any tips?? I am thinking of spotting on dry print and following up my spots with a dab of fix until the mark is removed.

Then refixing the whole print toning , hypo clear and normal wash.

help require from those who do this type of thing.

thanks
    Bob
    Bob,

I've removed a hair or two and some rather long scratches using the knifing/etching technique Ian describes. I commonly use etching to remove black spots on the print. It takes some practice, but, once mastered is reliable and much less intrusive than bleaching, which spreads into the surrounding emulsion and requires a lot of retouching.

I use a surgeon's scalpel and a 8x or 10x loupe. The trick is to remove as little of the emulsion as possible, scratching down through it instead of gouging it out. If you are lucky, you can scrape away enough of the dark area to hide the defect and still leave a little gelatin over the baryta layer.

If you aren't so lucky, you'll scrape the emulsion off completely, leaving the white baryta layer, which then needs to be spotted back up. I use spotone with varying amounts of gum Arabic added to match the sheen of the print surface.

Practice on a few scrap prints and you'll get the hang of it. After a while, you'll be etching regularly.

Some advice: take frequent breaks from your work and don't drink too much coffee before etching, otherwise your hands will be shakier than you want.

Good luck,

Doremus

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Bob,

I've removed a hair or two and some rather long scratches using the knifing/etching technique Ian describes. I commonly use etching to remove black spots on the print. It takes some practice, but, once mastered is reliable and much less intrusive than bleaching, which spreads into the surrounding emulsion and requires a lot of retouching.

I use a surgeon's scalpel and a 8x or 10x loupe. The trick is to remove as little of the emulsion as possible, scratching down through it instead of gouging it out. If you are lucky, you can scrape away enough of the dark area to hide the defect and still leave a little gelatin over the baryta layer.

If you aren't so lucky, you'll scrape the emulsion off completely, leaving the white baryta layer, which then needs to be spotted back up. I use spotone with varying amounts of gum Arabic added to match the sheen of the print surface.

Practice on a few scrap prints and you'll get the hang of it. After a while, you'll be etching regularly.

Some advice: take frequent breaks from your work and don't drink too much coffee before etching, otherwise your hands will be shakier than you want.

Good luck,

Doremus
    Thanks Doremus and others

Ok so I am going to give this a go, first time for this method, I was not looking forward to bleaching, my normal retoucher Rose Scheler who is fantastic btw is away and this client needs it before she gets back.
    I have tried this but I think I was scraping and not knifing as you mention.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin