Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,352   Online: 825

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Parting Out Enlargers

I have two enlargers that I've had sitting around for a while now. I really wish I had the time and space to set them up but that hasn't happened. Since I'm in the middle of nowhere I'm thinking of parting them out, rather than selling them as a whole.

So my question is what parts are useful and what aren't (or does that depend on the enlarger?). Are there some things that are worth some cash or not really? I'll definitely be listing enlarging lenses, negative holders, and lens boards but for the rest should I list parts specifically on the Buy and Sell board or should I just list the enlarger and let people have their pick of whatever they need?

Any help or advice on how to make sure the majority of this stuff goes to someone, rather than to the dump would be greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'll not help you commit heresy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    enlargers are sort of low-demand right now -- you can pick them up for less than $100 easily, including Leica enlargers if you are lucky.

Parting them out makes the situation more dicey -- why buy parts when it is easier to buy a whole enlarger? I mean, when a bulb in a movie projector burns out i buy a new projector -- it's cheaper and thrift stores have them pretty regularly.

ditto enlargers -- my suggestion is see if you can find someone within driving distance who wants to set up a darkroom and make it worth their while to take one off your hands. Unless you are selling a Leitz Focomat, if you make $25 on the deal consider yourself lucky.

Shooter
    35mm
    I understand what you guys are saying... Might just have to donate to a school or something

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which nowhere are you in the middle of?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Or you could keep them for a day when your interest returns. You know-the day where you're sorry you got rid of them?

Shooter
    35mm
    Saskatoon (and I'm actually on the edge of it not the middle... hopefully that doesn't complicate matters)

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Which nowhere are you in the middle of?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoBlacMan View Post
    Saskatoon (and I'm actually on the edge of it not the middle... hopefully that doesn't complicate matters)
    There is a lot of middle there.

Are you saying you intend to get rid of all your enlarger equipment? If so, don't. If things change, you will regret it.

If you are seeking to downsize, try Craigslist first.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Did I miss the brand and maximum negative size information. My evil black cloud is thinking along lines of replacing the bulb/light source with led and turning them into night lights. My photo sideis thinking save the equipment. There are always folks returning and needing start up... or am I living in my wishful world space state?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you enlarger is a "Prinz" 35mm enlarger then it is probably only good as a gift to a beginner. If you have a late model Omega E5 with black 5x7 Chromega head and Chromegatrol or a Durst L1000 then you have enlargers someone else may want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin