Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,270   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Using 150mm lens for enlarging med. format?

Greetings! I recently acquired an Omega D-II and it didnt come with any lenses but it came with 2 lens boards, one the flat one and one 4" cone.

I have a 50mm lens for printing 35mm now and it just barely works for printing a 6x6 but with very little working room (about 6 inches) and it needs a big stack of books to set the easel on to even bring the image high enough to fit onto an 8"x8" print.

I also plan to to enlarge 4"x5" sometime soon. I was wondering how the working conditions and possibility of using a 150mm lens (with either the cone, or flat lens board) would be for enlarging both 4x5 and medium format negs? I would like to keep the 50mm lens for only 35mm and maybe use the 150 for medium format and 4x5.

If I were to use it im guesing id have to push my enlarger unit really high, I normally wouldnt print any larger than 8x10, rarely 11x14... Would a 150mm lens be acceptable for printing medium format (up to 6x7) and 4x5?
    Last edited by Christopher Colley; 01-30-2005 at 12:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: poor spelling, trying to make more sense

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 150mm is the natural lens for 4x5. It'll work just fine. For 6x6 you'll be limited in the max size of print and like you guessed will have the head up high. In short it'll work. But if it was me I'd keep my eye out for a used Nikon 80mm lens. It won't cost much. While you're looking just use the 150mm. It won't be ideal .

Christopher,
    I don't have a medium format lens, and print my 6X4.5 with a 150mm lens. My enlarger, a saunders 4550XL, must be at full height to make an 8x10, with no cropping possible. With the price of used lenses comming down, I'm ready to take Nick's advice.
    Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another option would be to get a 135mm lens that has sufficient coverage for 4x5 for use with the 4" cone. That would lower the head position a bit for both 4x5 and medium format compared to the 150mm lens. An 80mm (or thereabouts) lens in a flat lens board for medium format would still be ideal, of course. But the 135 might give you a little more flexibility than the 150.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Christopher

I have a few spare 105mm Shnieder enlarger lenses, you can have one if you cover the cost of postage. They cost me nothing. Would be far better for Medium Format & cover up to 6x9cm

They came on a lens turret assembly from a professional labs Durst printer/enlarger, I was given the lot so I could remove & use the 135mm for my 5"x4" enlarger.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have an Omega D-3 with 50mm on a flat board, and a 135mm on a 4" cone. With the 135mm, I can cover a 4x5 well and enlarge a 6x6 to just under 11"x11" with the top of the enlarger head touching the ceiling.

Check out Harry Taylor at http://www.classic-enlargers.com/ . Harry was very helpful and knowledgable about Omegas and his service was fast. I've ordered an 80mm with a 1 1/2" cone for more flexibility with my 6x6's. I'll let you know how the product is as soon as I get it in the next week or so.
    James

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use an 80 mm lens for 35 mm work which is great. So a 150 for med. format should be ok.
    Last edited by modafoto; 02-03-2005 at 10:27 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: My negatives became 10 mm wider.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I set up a darkroom about six months ago using an Omega D5 that came with cheap 75mm and 50mm lenses. I got a Schneider Componon-s 135mm lens because I couldn't easily get close enough to print postcards or small test prints and it has worked wonderfully for full-frame medium format prints. The only downside is forgetting to change the condenser location when using a shorter lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    I use an 80 mm lens for 35 mm work which is great. So a 150 for med. format should be ok.
    Yes, it'll work, but working distance will become an issue. I use a 100 Schneider for 6X6 and my enlarger head is higher than I like. I should probably just use the Deardorff 8X10 I bought in 2000, and make contact prints!
    "Through photography I would present the significance of facts, so they are transformed from things seen to things known..." Edward Weston (1932)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmelas
    Check out Harry Taylor at http://www.classic-enlargers.com/ . Harry was very helpful and knowledgable about Omegas and his service was fast. I've ordered an 80mm with a 1 1/2" cone for more flexibility with my 6x6's. I'll let you know how the product is as soon as I get it in the next week or so.
    It was only one week from payment across the Atlantic to my door. Cheers to Harry... and the USPS! My new El Nikor 80mm covers a 6x6 and then some. I can project to 24" square-- more than I need.
    James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin