Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,023   Online: 907

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    That's right, they have different functionality. For the OP's original question though, a bit of dark-red matt board will be easier to arrange than scratch-building a red swing-filter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Get an under-the-lens swing-away filter holder and some ruby-lith or the like, or find an alternative way to position your paper.

How about just using some blue painters tape to mark where the corners of the print should go? Position these with white enlarger light and with a wide-open aperture. Then dial-in your filtration, stop down and position your paper. Or, get some sheet steel and magnetic strips to hold your paper (used in conjunction with the red filter, this is your best non-easel solution IMO).

Best,

Doremus

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of good ideas here. Thanks to all for chiming in. Sounds like the dichroic filters will allow too much light through at any setting for this to be a workable alternative to a true red filter. I might pick-up some red posterboard and try the aforementioned idea regarding marking and positioning.

Curious, though, why Ralph Lambrecht suggested maximum cyan as an option. Given that orthochomatic paper is blue-green sensitive, I (and others obviously) wouldn't have thought that would work. But he's written extensively on analog photography, so he must know something I don't.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin