Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,949   Posts: 1,557,881   Online: 904

Wickford,Rhode Island, US (suburban/rural)
    Shooter
    35mm

question about durst enlarger

Hi,
    I inherited a Durst M601 enlarger with a CLS66 colorhead and a Durst Sixma 35 negative carrier mask. Would appreciate help with 2 questions--

1. I'm just doing B&W, but the colorhead is there. I have the three color settings all at 0 and am using Ilford contrast filters and Ilford RC paper. Is there any conflict in this setup? The prints seem to have a slight brownish tint to them. I can live with that but wondered if I should be doing anything to compensate for the colorhead.

2. Bigger problem. The image just fades at the print's lower right border, instead of coming through sharp and dark. (Negative goes in the carrier upside down). About one-quarter inch maximum coming up from the bottom margin, three inches horizontally along the right edge of the bottom margin, on an 11x14 print. It reaches its worst point at the corner. Any thoughts out there?

Thanks--
    Chaim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The colour head shouldn't be causing any problems. You could forget the ilford filters and just dial in contrast. But if you're using white light [dials set at zero] it really shouldn't matter.

The second thing sounds like something is out of whack. Check the enlarger for basic alignment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    The second thing sounds like something is out of whack. Check the enlarger for basic alignment.
    Does your head have the built-in "edge" masking blades similar to other Durst enalargers? If so, it could be that they are not "clearing" the negative area

Ken

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The impression I got was the image was fuzzy not masked off.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Starting points

Use your color head. Here is a beginning chart for Durst enlargers using Ilford paper. You will have to test
    Grade 00 150 y
    Grade 0 90Y
    Grade 1/2 70Y
    Grade 1 55y
    Grade 1.5 30y
    Grade 2 0
    Grade 2.5 20M
    Grade 3 45M
    Grade 3,5 65m
    Grade 4 100m
    Grade 4.5 140M
    Grade 5 170M

Again this is a starting point. The benefit is you have far greater control and you will not be working through a filter.
    As to the fuzzy. I would check for the neg cropper. It will be unfocus becsue its not at the same plane as your neg.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where are you putting the filters and are they the kind mounted in plastic frames? If you are using the lens mounted filter holder it may not be all the way out of the light path.Other than that or the forementioned masking frames it would have to be a light problem inside the head.
    Gary Beasley

Wickford,Rhode Island, US (suburban/rural)
    Shooter
    35mm
    like the light trails off in that one small section of the image

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin