Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,837   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

How to lower contrast on grade 2 paper

Hi all,

I have a lot of fix grade 2 papers, and sometimes final prints have too much contrast. Is there some paper developer that will lower the contrast, or maybe some other method can be used (beside developing negative with less contrast)?

thanks,
    Darko

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    dilute the developer.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Have you thought about flashing the paper?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Selectol Soft .. basically a metol only dev.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for fast replays . Did not think about flashing the paper, never tried, will give a one go. Right now I am using developers from Wolfgang Moersch (Sepia paper developer and ECO 4812), I will try to dilute them to half of recommended minimum to see if I get lower contrast. Selectol Soft: I should mix it myself, or I can buy it somewhere?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    ....Selectol Soft: I should mix it myself, or I can buy it somewhere?

there's some good info here :
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...ctol-soft.html

Selectol(not selectol-soft) is a really nice developer, similar to Dektol. Kind of an "in-between" I've found.

cheers,
    Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Also, you can dodge to make it seem like there is less contrast...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Since you are already familiar with Moersch products, would suggest his Separol Soft by itself or as 2nd bath. I also use a RH Design pre-flasher.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Depending upon how much you want to reduce contrast you can use one (or more in combination) of the following:

Soft developer
    Water (hot) 750 ml 
Metol 12 g 
Sodium Sulfite 36 g. 
Sodium Carbonate 30 g. 

Cold water to make 1 liter stock solution.

In use you dilute the stock 1:2 with water to make your working solution.

and/or use a water bath - develop for 1 minute and then place in a bath of plain water for 1 minute and return to developer if necessary.

and/or pre-flash the paper (learning to do this has particular benefits as you can selectively soften parts of the image of desired.

Best of luck,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've had real good luck with Selectol Soft, sometimes in conjunction with water-bath developing as detailed above, to reduce contrast by a paper grade or more. More often, I use Selectol Soft in tandem with another harder-working developer (e.g., Dektol) to get intermediate contrast on graded paper. This was a more common practice before VC papers became mainstream.

The Moersch Separol Soft will work like Selectol Soft in this regard and may be easier to find in Germany. You can mix your own as well using David's formula or just Google for Ansco 120 or Selectol Soft substitute.

Flashing is a useful tool, but reduces highlight contrast in the process. This is often desirable, but sometimes not. All three tools together can squeeze a lot of contrast on to grade 2 paper.

One more technique to reduce contrast is selective latent image bleaching, or SLIMT. The basics for reducing print contrast are outlined here: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/La...agebleach.html and on David Kachel's site here: http://www.davidkachel.com/assets/nw_strry.htm

That should be more than enough to get you going.

Best,

Doremus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin