Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,270   Posts: 1,534,451   Online: 996

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am in the same boat as jou... I have started to use fibre and see if there really is much difference between it and RC, and am having problems justifying the absurd price of a few bits of acrylic stuck together & a few bits of pipe...

I've been using a large tray with 6 changes of water over a 2-3 hour (ish) period. This shows clear on a residual hypo test but is longwinded and limits the number of prints I can wash at a time to 3 or 4.

In Homebase at the moment (in my local one anyway) there are large blue plastic storage boxes that a 16x20" sheet of paper will fit. I have the bits to knock up something similar to this or this ideas - although the storage box is not so neat and tidy, being non-square... When I get a break from work, I'll cut and glue the paper dividers together (right after I have put the floor of my darkroom back together after a water pipe bust under the floorboards at the weekend and I had to rip up the floor covering and floorboards at 2 a.m....).

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    bob - if you are successful in making your washer, I'd be interested in buying a similar from you if you have time/ inclination to make one .......

ps - i know exactly what you mean about your leak - i had to do the same after one of my handy pushfit connectors didnt pushfit and spilled hot central heating water throught the ceiling and all over our newly decorated hallway a couple of weeks ago

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Blimey, must be an epidemic! One of my overflow pipes started doing a very creditable impression of a hosepipe a couple of months ago! (Why is it always in the wee small hours?!) Luckily(?!) it was while the company I work for was considering whether it actually wanted me on their payroll (it's so good to feel wanted...) so I had the time for a couple of trips to B&Q and could sort it out for a fiver. (Someone else called a plumber to a similar problem and paid £145! I'm definitely in the wrong business!)

Dragging us vaguely back on topic...

Blighty - Much obliged, sir! I'll be in touch and we'll see if we can work something out.

One-and-all - Thanks very much for all the responses. I knew I could count on you all to help me out (as you have so many times in the past!) Please keep your contributions and comments coming.

Many thanks,

Frank

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Often I just have them all in the one tray in the bath, with the shower hose stuck in it. I'll dump the water now and again as well as rotating the prints. Once the last one is done and in the tray they get a 1hr wash, the water is dumped and the prints are rotated every 10-15 minutes.

If there are quite a few I may use a holding tray. Don't see any problem with this, just dump and fill with fresh water now and again so hopefully the fix level keeps falling rather than rising.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F.
    In Homebase at the moment (in my local one anyway) there are large blue plastic storage boxes that a 16x20" sheet of paper will fit.
    Bob,

If you manage to find the time would you mind taking a few photos as you go and posting them here? I'd be interested to see how your washer fits together so I could have a go.

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg
    Bob,

If you manage to find the time would you mind taking a few photos as you go and posting them here? I'd be interested to see how your washer fits together so I could have a go.

Cheers

Mike
    No probs: what I have in mind is not rocket science - a Stanley knife and a saw (and maybe a drop or two of silicon sealer) should do the job... Like the commercial items I linked to above, the sheets will not be in separate, water tight compartments, just held vertically by the dividers & sharing the total volume of water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eugene Smith use a stack of 3 trays, each with a siphon. Water flowed from the top to bottom tray. He put prints from the fix in the bottom tray and then moved up to top tray which was his final wash. I forgot the times he held the each print in each tray. I have both a slot washer and a rotary washer, but for the past few years I have just used the rotary washer, he does as good as job as the slot washer and much easier for me to handel. I wash 16 X 20 and larger outside using a small play pool and a siphon. I have seen used rotary washer on E bay at quite reasonable prices. I'm keeping the slot washer in case the drought here continues and we have mandatory water restrictions.

Regards

Paul

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Most of the time I've been using resin paper, but increasingly I'm moving over to fibre and I find that the dramatically increased washing times are producing a bottleneck in my workflow. With a 5-10 min rinse, 5 min HCA, 30 min wash, 4-20 min tone, 20-30 min wash cycle, my 16x12 Patterson rapid washer is just not cutting it!

Given that a multi-slot archival washer is most unlikely to make an arrival in my bathroom anytime soon, and that fish tanks appear to be a darn sight dearer in the UK than the US which makes a home-build solution unfeasable...

How do all you fibre-based printers without multi-slot washers organise your workflows?

All help gratefully received!

Thanks in advance,

Frank

First off, you need to re-evaluate your "workflow". If you are toning the print during the same session, then why the long rinse, HCA, and 30min wash before you tone?! Use non-hardening fixer, please...a quick rinse, then into the selenium/hypo-clear combo, for as long as it takes, then into hypo clear for 3 min, then the final wash.
    Yes you should use a holding bath for prints that you will tone the same way. It'll save a bunch of time when your ready to start.

stink

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin