Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,420   Online: 717

Shooter
    35mm

I bought an enlarger&easel

Hello,

I just 'won' an auction for a Paterson (Philips made I think) PCS 1000 enlarger with a 14" x 11" easel. Both separate auctions. Both appear in immaculate condition for a total of around £50 GBP. I don't know what lens but there is a timer unit also. All appears very new although it says used.

I could not find info about this although I think it is B&W only. The 2000 does colour!

Yeah I know buying something I know nothing about but it is rare to find anyone willing to post (ship) the stuff!

nocturnal

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear nocturnal,

A set of color printing filters would allow you to do color in a pinch. Otherwise, it seems like a nice enlarger.

Use it in good health!

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Tell me more Neal...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear nocturnal,

Color printing can be performed using gel filters. (Here are a couple of ebay listings.) If you can find an old Kodak Color Darkroom Dataguide and any old book about color printing (I tend to use Alibris for finding old books. Search using Color and darkroom as keywords.) you will have your start. Next, search the forum using the keywords RA-4 and Tray. I used to use drums but my laziness got the better of me (if you use trays you must use examination gloves). Having said that there are many people who use the drums successfully and efficiently.

The details are better left for written sources, just make sure you have a stop bath between the developer and blix if you use trays. I like to add a water tray between the developer and stop so that the color indicator of the stop bath is still usable.

A set of Kodak Viewing filters is nice to have, but not a necessity.

One last thing. Accept that your first forays into color printing will be a bit frustrating. Things seem backwards (adding yellow filtration makes the print less yellow) and the color balance you swore was perfect under one light source will look awful under another. Lastly, you will agonize over the smallest filtration changes, showing examples to your friends and loved ones for their opinions and they will think you are crazy.

Have fun!

Neal

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Neal,

They think I am crazy anyhow!

I'll try the B&W first though to see how I get on, my enlarger will arrive next week. I have searched high and try for info on the Paterson PCS 1000 but have zero success. Not even a manual.

Cheers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin