Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,423   Online: 1201

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dorff View Post
    So that fairy ring of yours was important in one way or another...
    The picture would help illustrate the story...

Fairy Ring near Saddlerock Lake

I looked at the negatives from Alaska, and I think what makes me uncomfortable about that particular shot is that I could have shot Black and White in the TLR but shot Kodachrome instead. Unless I misplaced them, I apparently didn't shoot any 120 Black and White on the whole trip. That slightly unsharp shot is about the best from a roll with few negatives worth printing.

The Fairy Ring, on the other hand, is a friendly shot. Flawed. But as you guessed, one that sums up who I was at the time. It's in the company of numerous good and better executed shots, which get compliments. It's easier to forgive.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
    The more I print 8x10's made from 4x5 negatives the more of a difference I see between 66/645 printed to 8x10. It isn't about sharpness or anything like that, it just has a look that appeals to me. The prints from 4x5 have a very real look to them, like looking through a window, much more so than the 6x6 negatives cropped to 8x10. I think so anyway...
    Interesting you point that out because I see less difference from MF. I have one 6x9cm printed to 11x14in where I feel like I can see branches on the trees at the skyline, which is one of the looks that appeals to me, that I get from 4x5in... Which is to say that 6x9cm approaches 4x5in in that respect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Interesting you point that out because I see less difference from MF. I have one 6x9cm printed to 11x14in where I feel like I can see branches on the trees at the skyline, which is one of the looks that appeals to me, that I get from 4x5in... Which is to say that 6x9cm approaches 4x5in in that respect.
    I actually very much like 6x9 and have a lot of 6x9 negatives, but I'm still trying to figure out how best to print them. I find traditional print sizes tend to crop off too much of the scene, but printing them proportionally with no cropping makes them difficult and more expensive to frame. I think some of my best shots are on 6x9 though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    A 10" X 8" contact or print will show wonderful detail, but if the content is boring or rubbish, it can never compete with a 35mm print of great composition, context and timing.
    Exactly. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    when it comes to resolution and sharpness. I don't think it improves a photograph; it is nod a 'nice to have' in my world. In fact I'm almost entirely neutral to it, to the point where it doesn't really register.

At the same time, I appreciate a really well printed photograph, and in my darkroom I always strive for making the very best print that I can make. But that never has anything to do with resolution. Ever.
    +100%
    Amen.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcturus View Post
    I actually very much like 6x9 and have a lot of 6x9 negatives, but I'm still trying to figure out how best to print them. I find traditional print sizes tend to crop off too much of the scene, but printing them proportionally with no cropping makes them difficult and more expensive to frame. I think some of my best shots are on 6x9 though.
    I like the 1.5:1 aspect too. I saw this saunders easel post recently:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...-nib-8x10.html

and if you look at the box in the photo, one of the "checkboxes" is "8x10 35mm full frame". I'll bet I'd like to have one of those. I wonder how hard it would be to find one. And yes standard frame sizes don't work all that well.. I'm thinking of buying a custom "sides and tops" in bulk. I also really like the old 122 format which is closer to 1.7:1. Custom framing needed for that aspect ratio too.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin