Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,677   Online: 1155

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Blighty, no worries on my end. I know they are good. I was just curious about the change vs the previous version which ranged from yellow to deep magenta (the way a typical VC or colour head works).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There have been many editions of the Ilford Multigrade filters. The biggest improvement came when they were made so that grades 00 through 3-1/2 all required the same exposure and grades 4 to 5 required twice as much. That came before Multigrade IV and lasted well after its introduction. Before that, exposure varied with each filter. Since then, they have probably changed again. Probably the paper has, too.

The Multigrade filter numbers do not really correspond to paper grades (well maybe loosely). They just provide a useful sequence of contrasts. Different papers also respond quite differently to the filters. And filters differ from one manufacturer to another (Kodak is different from Ilford, although either set can be used with Multigrade). Ilford has probably engineered its current set to provide the best range of contrasts it can reasonably get from its current paper. They will work differently and probably better than the older filters, but the older filters can still be used with almost the same results, given some adjustments.

(Of course, I'm just barely old enough to remember when the high contrast Multigrade filter was greenish yellow and the low contrast one was magenta. (1950s).)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't remembrer '50s multigrade, but when I first used it in the early '60s the filters were all various shades of yellow–completely different from Kodak Polycontrast, Dupont Varigam, and Ansco VeeCee, all of which used filters similar to the ones in use now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Yes they are, MR74. Though I've still never quite pinned down "normal" contrast. Enlarger lights are different, film base color is different, etc. Finding #2 and nailing it down from escaping is about hopeless.
    Make your tests for development with VC paper and #2 filter. That is your #2 and I do not find it different from graded by any significant degree. If you find them much different, the developer is old or diluted to working strength for more than 4 hours or the paper is old/fogged which can happen quite easily with todays papers due to the way they are manufactured. The shelf life is very short, 2/3 years from date of manufacture, no actual dates on the packs, and slow moving store stock.

Curve shapes can change from one paper to another so do not expect them to be the exactly the same, however overall contrast should be close.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin