Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,781   Online: 1038

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    SNIP SNIP

Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post

And, if I'm being honest, I think DigiNegs should be just another forum on APUG, not banished to it's own poorly trafficked website. Seriously, what has done more to revive platinum and alt-processes than digital negatives?
    i agree, but the alternative that existed here called the grey area caused lots of trouble within the membership of this website.
    im not sure if you are able to read any of the long winded and venomous threads from that time period but it was not a lot of fun.
    and as you might read when someone posts questions about "are slide or negative scans allowed in the gallery" the troops are rallied
    to try to create an all print scan gallery where people who may scan film or slides are almost given 2nd class status because
    their work isn't "pure" ... i'm sure if there was some sort of a way to integrate the 2 sites sean would try to do it giving the hybrid people
    a way to be part of apug and visaversa because at a certain level they both need eachother ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have done it before, but it takes too long and requires planning (i.e. I have to leave the darkroom). I find a sheet of frosted mylar and a pencil is a lot faster and more malleable. Just my 2¢.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Robert James View Post
    I have done it before, but it takes too long and requires planning (i.e. I have to leave the darkroom). I find a sheet of frosted mylar and a pencil is a lot faster and more malleable. Just my 2¢.
    I'd like to hear more about *this*.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APUG is what it is, an oasis for traditional photography. I too have no problem whatsoever with utilizing technologies to attain images. The websites are a million to 1 for digital/hybrid images vs analogue.
    APUG is hear to keep it traditional, that's all.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Whatever is fun for you. But just remember that there's a reason so many options in Fauxtoshop are named for graphics arts precedents.
    With a bit of soft pencil and a bit of red creosin dye you can do a helluva lot of things faster than using a scan with computer futzing - and at
    vastly less expense. I do all kinds of analog masking, esp for color work, most of it punch-and-register film techniques. But that Alan Ross low-tech approach will give you a lot of mileage in basic black and white control. I happen to enjoy true darkroom masking work. But it can really
    improve prints too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    I'd like to hear more about *this*.
    Again, see Alan Ross's "Selective Masking" techniques. Step by step how-to for pencil shading mylar (he uses Dura-Lar), how to make a DIY carrier for this stuff etc. He uses these techniques to help him print all the authorized Ansel Adams reproduction prints.

The basic techniques are non-digital so perfectly ok for discussion here (pencil shading etc.). He then moves on to the digital transparency methods raised by OP.

http://www.alanrossphotography.com/2...ing-negatives/
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 10-23-2013 at 08:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Call me a heretic.. I took my laptop (a Chromebook) in to the mostly darkroom the other night for company while I developed film. It made my time there more enjoyable. I already use digital timers (kitchen timer and Gralab digital timer), so I'm not righteous under analog purity law.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    In the Lustrum Press "Darkroom" book, Emmet Gowin shows how he uses an acetate mask to do much the same thing you are describing.

I think any tool you can use to make your art more effective is almost mandatory. We all have limited time on the planet, and even less time to devote to our art.

As Rush sang in "The Spirit of Radio":

All this machinery making modern music
    Can still be open-hearted.
    Not so coldly charted, it's really just a question
    Of your honesty, yeah, your honesty.

And, if I'm being honest, I think DigiNegs should be just another forum on APUG, not banished to it's own poorly trafficked website. Seriously, what has done more to revive platinum and alt-processes than digital negatives?
    Amen! And of course, Rush rules and Neil is always right!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Again, see Alan Ross's "Selective Masking" techniques. Step by step how-to for pencil shading mylar (he uses Dura-Lar), how to make a DIY carrier for this stuff etc. He uses these techniques to help him print all the authorized Ansel Adams reproduction prints.

The basic techniques are non-digital so perfectly ok for discussion here (pencil shading etc.). He then moves on to the digital transparency methods raised by OP.

http://www.alanrossphotography.com/2...ing-negatives/
    Thanks!
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For the uninitiated, pencil masking is simply taping the neg in the carrier (better to have a glass carrier) then taping a piece of frosted mylar over the glass. Place the sandwich over a lightbox and dodge whatever you wish with a soft (or hard) pencil. Once you get it the way you want it, you can make any number of prints that are basically the same. I really use it though for very small areas or complex shapes that need to be dodged which are impossible to do any other way.

My favorite diffusion material is the frosted side of the Print-File 4x5 individual sleeves. Since it isn't so opaque it doesn't effect the exposure like frosted mylar. It also allows the pencil lines to be more precise due to the same fact.

Here is a before/after example of a print that probably could not be made any other way. There are other methods going on here too, but the main manipulation is done with a mylar mask. They are cropped differently as well. Straight proof scan/print scan. You can see how low in contrast the negative is. Hope this helps.

Devil's Wind, Death Valley 1998

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin