Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,174   Online: 999

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is this cheating?

This is just a thought now. I'm wondering if it would be useful to use an image printed on OHP film to make contrast masks for enlarging. The the old days, it was very labor intensive. I imagine the work flow would be scanning the negative doing some adjustments in Photoshop, blurring the image then print in OHP. Does this thread belong in the Hybrid photo forum? Be nice to me if this post is a faux pas
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alan Ross is a proponent of this as an extension of his "selective masking" (purely analog) techniques. Alan prints all the authorized reproductions from Ansel Adams's negatives. As such he needed to find ways of reducing the manual labour involved in each print, as well as maximizing consistency from print to print.

Making inkjet masks is a potentially powerful tool. It works like traditional silver masking, except you can go a step further and even print yellows and magentas on the mask to combine the effects of manual dodging/burning with multiple contrast grades.

Indeed going to inkjet scanning to make masks is what I would call a hybrid approach, so not really analog. But if you are interested in the technique, Alan's Selective Masking articles/kits include detailed instructions (with example) on how to do inkjet masks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow Alan Ross uses this technique? He's quite a printer. Seen his prints at the Ansel Adams gallery in Yosemite. Never though of using magentas and yellows. Genius. Split grade printing and masking all in one!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Come on , Cheat us as much as you want , making better art is more important.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Utilizing the tools you have at hand is not (technically)cheating, merely finding a workflow that allows you to accomplish what you need.If the internegative films were still readily available, you would probably still want to use a computer scan and print out a mask, far more convenient.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    This hybrid approach has never been appreciated here, not to mention many other methods of imaging to wet prints that involve a computer.
    I will be interested to see how this thread goes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As opposed as I am to digitalizing, I must weigh in toward being practical. The expense and labor involved in making internegs and masking the way we used to do it, was daunting to say the least. If you can do it with modern technology, have at it. The end result is what matters here, a wet print that reaches out and leaves ya gobsmacked.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't mind doing it, it's kind of silly not to take advantage of technology.

It's too bad that I dislike sitting in front of a computer so much.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't feel so bad now. It's good to hear that APUGers are really pragmatic. Thanks Mustafa, Thomas and Rick. I hate sitting in front of a computer for prolong periods too. It already my day job.
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you can do it all you want, but i wouldn't post images in the gallery made from this technique
    you'll have people rallying with pitchforks and torches ...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin