Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,620   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Loose dust is usually beatable by the described methods, and it's generally visible on the negative before you put it in the carrier. If you've ensured that the enlarger is clean, and the neg is clean, remaining spots may be from crud in the water introduced during processing. Using a filter will help, or else bottled water may help.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have a dry darkroom in a laundry room. I use the room from fall to spring and therefore the house heater is used which can lower humidity. Adding some humidity does wonders. I add humidity by placing pastic food containers of water on top of the vents and running a constant furnace fan. Poor man's humidifier. Before a DR session wipe down all surfaces to remove dust. I use a LPL 670 or Leitz 1C enlarger for most work. Both are exellent at avoiding dust once you dust the negative and install in the enlarger head. Enlargers like a B-22 have gaps around the carrier allowing dust to migrate from outside to inside the head. With new negatives I never have issues. With negatives which have been used pulling them from plastic sleeves can add a charge. I like the folder type negative sleeves.
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Living in south Florida the humidity helps but also my darkroom has tile floors, an exhaust fan, a filter over the ac vent and I cover the enlarger with a large garbage bag when not using it. If I notice dust on dry negatives I use Dust-Off. Negatives are kept in Print File sleeves and the sleeves in negative envelopes and those in negative storage boxes. There are also anti-static brushes and cloths available. Be sure to clean up any chemistry especially fixer drops because once they dry they will be a source of dust.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an air cleaner that runs continuously in my DR. I damp mop and wipe things down with a damp rag from time to time.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do nothing to the darkroom itself.

The film, on the other hand, is a different story. With Sprint wetting agent, it is recommended to wipe off the excess before hanging the film to dry. So I use a soft sponge on the base side, and a very soft rubber edge on the emulsion side.
    It's very rare that I get A single dust spot in any of my negatives.

The negs are hung to dry in the darkroom that I do nothing to, four feet from the house forced air furnace, with cats running around. There is no dust on my negatives.

While printing, I use a camel hair brush to brush clean the negative. Then I use compressed air to blow off dust on the negative base and the side of the Anti Newton Ring glass before the two are sandwiched in the carrier. Then I use the compressed air to blow off dust on top of the ANR glass as well as the emulsion side of the enlarger.

This works really well for me. There's usually no more than one or two spots to spot in my prints, unless there was something funny going on in the film's emulsion, in which case it takes a lot more spotting, but that comes with the territory.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Rip out the rug, get a steamer and seal the room off and steam it up in there, the moisture will capture the dust and then wipe down the moist walls and floors with towels/sponges and that should get a lot of it, then run the dehumidifier and continue to use an ionizer thing to capture particles.

You can never eliminate dust though...

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a word of warning. While ionizers are terrific at trapping dust particles that are suspended in the air, the ozone produced by them make some of the most powerful oxidants known. This is not good for your lungs, or other materials that will fare ill from oxidation, such as metals.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    PEC = Photographic Emulsion Cleaner. Waddya know. Gotta get me some.
    Just to clarify, I do not use the PEC cleaner, just the pads. I keep them in a ziplock bag and use them forever. They are like dust magnets. Compressed air is considerably more expensive, and in my experience, considerably less effective than PecPads.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerSmithPhoto View Post
    Just to clarify, I do not use the PEC cleaner, just the pads. I keep them in a ziplock bag and use them forever. They are like dust magnets. Compressed air is considerably more expensive, and in my experience, considerably less effective than PecPads.
    I'll second this: I have about 3 packs of Pec Pads (4x4, 100 packs from Amazon) and they are stupidly useful on just about everything. Problem I've had with canned air is it just moves everything around...doesn't actually remove anything.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Just a word of warning. While ionizers are terrific at trapping dust particles that are suspended in the air, the ozone produced by them make some of the most powerful oxidants known. This is not good for your lungs, or other materials that will fare ill from oxidation, such as metals.
    Really? so those "ionic air" things that are supposed to be so good for households are actually bad for you?

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Really? so those "ionic air" things that are supposed to be so good for households are actually bad for you?

Yes.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin