Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,544   Online: 856

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Yes.
    Wow good to know! Thanks!

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My darkroom doubles as a laundry room, which is far from ideal. I also use a condenser enlarger, which doesn't mask dust. Nevertheless I don't have to do much spotting of my prints. I've grounded my enlarger (which may, or may not help, but can't hurt). I also use a Kinetronics anti-static brush (better than the Static Master brush I used for 50 years (for which the radioactive polonium cartridges have become prohibitively expensive) and a large Giottos air bulb blower (the best blower I've ever found). The Giottos blower is also great for getting dust off the plexi when I frame my prints.

To keep dust off my negatives when they're drying I spray the air in the room with water using a cheap plastic sprayer before hanging them to dry (and close the door to keep my cat out).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh, and when it is necessary to spot my prints, a good brush makes it really easy--there's a world of difference between my old $4.00 brush, from a camera store, and my $15.00 brush, from an art supply store.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you are worrying about dust, you have your priorities wrong. Concentrate on the image and the dust will disappear.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    If you are worrying about dust, you have your priorities wrong. Concentrate on the image and the dust will disappear.
    How hard do I have to concentrate to make the dust go away ;^)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Earley View Post
    Concentrate is the wrong word, just relax.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree with Parker Smith about cleaning the negative before placing in the enlarger. But, it does not hurt to have everything as clean as possible so that there is little to do to the negative. I am fortunate to have a dedicated, purpose-built, darkroom. All seams in the drywall and trim are caulked and painted. Semi-gloss and gloss paint for all surfaces (this helps with odors, too), and a tile floor. I flush and wipe out the sinks after printing. Those dried spots of developer, fixer, etc. not only add "character" but they also add dust. The floor gets swept and moped periodically.

For the negatives: first, they are stored properly and kept clean from the time of processing. When mounting in the carrier, I use a camel hair brush, which gets almost all dust off and is good enough for proofs and early work prints. (I am going to try PEC pads however.) When I get to making "public" prints, I use low pressure air supplied from a compressor - not canned air. The compressor is outside the darkroom with just the air line coming through the wall.

Do not under-estimate the effect of how clean your enlarger is - or is not. One can scrupulously clean their negs prior to insertion in the enlarger, and then have all kinds of crud settle down from inside the enlarger when the negative stage is closed. How do you know? Just turn the lamp on. open up the negative stage without a carrier and look inside!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Earley View Post
    Jedi master of dust "these are not the dusty slides you are looking for" lol

Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    The floor gets swept and moped periodically.
    That must be one sad looking floor...
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Medium Format

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin