Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 733

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

What is your experience with enlarger combinations and quantities?

Based on your experience and knowledge, what constitutes an ideal number of enlargers (and models, heads, etc) for a multi-format shooter (35, MF, LF) enlarging up to 20x24 in color and B&W, in a space that allows for up to three people to work comfortably? You can pick whatever you want. As long as we're creating the ideal, feel free to add your $.02 about sink size and quantity too. I've seen a lot of great setups in the darkroom portrait section and would like your thoughts on what you would do given the above circumstances.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I have an LPL 4550XLG that I use to print 35mm, 645, 6x9 and 4x5 formats. I have the variable contrast color head that I use for black and white filtration. 50mm, 105mm and 135mm enlarging lenses cover all my formats. I don't print larger than 11x14 so far but the specs on this enlarger are that it will do 20x24 on the base.

If you are enlarging larger formats you'd need a bigger enlarger, of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Focomat V35 for 35mm, a Durst something for 6x6 and a wall mounted DeVere 5108 for everything else. It takes a lot of space but I have the luxury of a two room darkroom. The Durst is hardly ever used so I could put it into storage with the rest of the enlarger collection (sometimes I suspect enlargers breed among themselves every time I look there are more of them).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I to have a Saunders LPL 4550 XL with a color head. Best enlarger I have ever had. And I do both B/W and Ilfochrome 20X24 on it. It is an amazing piece of equipment. Not sure about how much room 3 would take up though. But not all that bad. Don

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My recommendation would be 3 4x5 enlargers.
    The LPL's are lovely, and rather more compact for their capacity than machines like the Beselers or Omegas.
    My second choice to the LPL would be a Durst, mostly because the Dursts aren't so common in the U.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would use 3 Beseler 45's.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyMark View Post
    Based on your experience and knowledge, what constitutes an ideal number of enlargers (and models, heads, etc) for a multi-format shooter (35, MF, LF) enlarging up to 20x24 in color and B&W, in a space that allows for up to three people to work comfortably? You can pick whatever you want. As long as we're creating the ideal, feel free to add your $.02 about sink size and quantity too. I've seen a lot of great setups in the darkroom portrait section and would like your thoughts on what you would do given the above circumstances.
    Ideally, it is nice to have an enlarger set up for each format. Although most enlargers will do a variety of formats, switching and aligning lenses, changing condensers and film carriers and or light boxes can be fiddly and time consuming. Since enlargers are inexpensive, the number of enlargers one would have could be based on how much space is available in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have a beseler MX45 and a 23, and have given away all of the smaller enlargers. --- I really only use the 4x4 enlarger as I have film plates for about every size I use. --- I do have a 6x17 enlarger that I have been building ...
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Durst 606 for 110, 35mm and 6X6. Later I added a Kindermann 6X9 for my Mamiya Press negs. I probably could get by with the Kindermann alone, but I do like the Durst. I also have a Minox enlarger, but that's pretty much a special case.
    I would think a 4X5 would handle everything, although there might be some difficulty with small or subminiature film sizes.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    for this, you only need one enlarger; the Durst L 1200.having two sinks is ideal. iuse a 6' to process and a 4' to wash up.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin