Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 782

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8x10 Enlarger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Enlargements from 8x10 negatives are amazing. And the equipment needed is so darned simple. You might consider this option, at least just to get started in that format.

You may need to do some driving. I drove 15 hours just to get the head for my 8x10 enlarger.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 11-15-2013 at 07:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by akfotog View Post
    Thanks Ken, will have to research that. Sounds feasible though if I can rig up some sort of negative holder.
    Cut the centre divider out of an 8x10 film holder and mount a sheet of glass in one side to support the film ??

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm a contact guy, but I've owned 2 8x10 enlargers, including an Elwood. My suggestion would be, if you can afford it, to get a GOOD enlarger like a Durst or DeVere. Both of those enlargers will let you control alignment much better, etc.

DeVere: http://www.khbphotografix.com/devere/
    Durst: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/products.php

I'm not recommending either company seen at the above links; just providing the links so you can see pictures of enlargers.

Yes, I know it's expensive, but photography ain't a cheap thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for responses all, will have to consider my options before taking the 8x10 plunge.
    akfotog

National 8x10, Cambo SCX 4x5, Tachihara Wood Field 4x5, Busch Pressman 4x5, Mamiya RB67 Pro SD, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Mamiya M645 1000S, Nikon F5, Nikon F100, Nikon F4S, Nikon FM2 Chrome.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    I can see the difference in an 11x14. Maybe the public can't. Besides, I if you had to defend yourself against a grizzly, wouldn't you prefer a
    nice big Ries tripod with spike feet and some mass at the other end?
    Nope, 44 Mag..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Can anyone link to some information on the type of light source that would be needed to use an 8x10 camera as an enlarger? That sounds like something I might want to try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an example of an 8x10 camera-to-enlarger conversion from another APUG member. Dan included lots of pictures and descriptions so it's easy to see what's going on.

Converting an 8 x 10 camera into an 8 x 10 enlarger

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, but one of the reasons for shooting 8x10 is contact prints. For enlargements, you appear to already be set up for 4x5. I dare say you would not see much difference in enlargements between 4x5 and 8x10 until you got to prints that measured in feet! But hey, whatever floats your boat.
    well, either you don't shoot both formats or you haven't made enlargements from 8x10 film. Which is it?
    I ALSO, can see the difference in an 11x14 enlargement. I wouldn't own the enlarger for the hell of it.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Not to rain on your parade, but one of the reasons for shooting 8x10 is contact prints. For enlargements, you appear to already be set up for 4x5. I dare say you would not see much difference in enlargements between 4x5 and 8x10 until you got to prints that measured in feet! But hey, whatever floats your boat.
    I am afraid I am going to disagree. There is "something" about an 8x10 negative that a 4x5 cannot 'touch'. It isn't just the sharpness but the gradation of tones. Admittedly, at 11x14 print size, the difference may not be significant but once you start getting into 16x20 or 20x24, the difference jumps at you and bites you right on the face.
    Jack Rosa

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin