Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,620   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Photomontage techniques

Hi folks!

I'm sure some of You good people could help me out a bit. Lately I was trying to deal with photomontage with more than unsatisfactory results. For a start, I've tried to combine a character with pretty flat (but still with a touch of material structure) background. I have to admitt that both negatives were not prepared for montage, so i guess this is where some of my difficulties came from, but still, i know its doable with almost any image either it's prepared or not. I was looking for some detailed tutorials on the process but couldn't find anything suitable. Can You guys suggest some books/pdfs/articles or whatever can make my frustration on the subject less.. killing ?

In advance, thanks for all Your answers,
    Mateusz

Ps. I've noticed its my first post although i'm here for quite some time now. Anyway, i just want to say hello to all of You

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi morethansilver and welcome to APUG. It sounds like the technique you are trying to do is combination printing. I don't know how experienced you are with darkroom printing, but that can be quite difficult to do, often involving the use of more than one enlarger and masking techniques. You may find it easier to start with sandwich printing, where you combine two or more negatives together in the same enlarger. This can work well where one of them is a silhouette. There are plenty of books describing this and combination printing techniques. Try the Darkroom Handbook by Michael Langford. Good luck.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Are you wanting to montage using an enlarger the old fashioned way?
    If so post the two images and I can give you some help.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The book that's been out on my desk recently contains excellent explanations of combination printing, including specific tips such as

After making the exposure of one part of the montage, pencil a few dots lightly just inside the outline of the already exposed parts (not the unexposed side otherwise you'll make white spots), then you can refer to the dots for positioning the second exposure, and rub the pencil off in developer with your fingers....

Use an ordinary "orange" camera filter on the enlarger, not because it's safe, but because it's brighter than the red filter, and if you work quickly, it's "safe enough" while you position your paper for the second exposure....

Lootens on Photographic Enlarging and Print Quality, by J. Ghislain Lootens F.P.S.A., F.R.P.S. 1944

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for Your answers!

Well it seems combination printing is indeed what i'm trying to make use of. I'm not familiar in all those names though.. I have one enlarger, three negatives, i want to mix them into one print. Thats the idea. To make it all clear - lets say i have an image of a person standing (gray background) and a landscape. I want to put the person into the landscape. I cannot apply sandwich here because of misproportion. Perspective is ok though. The problem was that i could not mask it all so precise to avoid halo around the person. Third neg contains sky elements and i can handle with this one with sandwitch so no problem here.

As to my printing experience, i'm not the master, but i'm not a newbie too I'm printing for something like 6 years now, but never ever tried nothing so complicated. Im afraid the biggest challenge here is the moment of switching negs. I have only one carrier I dont really need another enlarger so i'm trying to work it out with what i got only.

What i'm looking for are some tips and tricks, ideas that will make it all work. Something like Bill Burk ( thanks!) suggested

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tim Rudman's book The Photographer's Master Printing Course has some guidance on combination printing also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    You could combi-print the background and sky, then print the figure separately and trim it out of the paper, collage it together (thin the edges a lot + use thin paper anyway) and re-photograph. You will have to experiment with contrast as it will bump up a little. Admittedly I last did this more than twenty years ago (and I used a huge copy-camera at work), but it can succeed, guaranteed. The different lighting for the figure and the background will be a thing to watch too.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You could also cut and paste and then rephotograph the composite print... Lootens also describes how to do that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Martin, thanks! Good idea. Figure is in contr-light so this could work pretty good in fact. But still, i'd prefer to do this fully under enlarger even if it's harder. I have to know ! :P

Bill, I just wanted to order this book since i found it for 0,15$ Then i realized shipping will cost me 85$, so i have to find snother way to get it i guess ;p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin