Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,544   Posts: 1,544,424   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Can I mask a 6x6 negative carrier to 6x4.5? How so?

Hey guys!

I want to print 645 and my school only has 6x6 negative carriers. whats the best/easiest way to mask it to work?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the negative part of a strip of negatives? If so, you probably don't need to worry about it - just crop using the easel.

What type of enlarger and negative stage are you using?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not sure what type/negative stage.. It's a 4x5 enlarger however.

hmm you're right about the easel idea. seems the simplest solutions are the best!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You always can take a simple file folder, and trim out a 645 space to serve as a mask to block stray light which might reduce contrast. Then cut down the outer part of the file folder and punch out round holes where the metal pins of the 6x6 carrier would protrude through the file folder. And black out the file folder with black felt marker to cut light transmission to minimums.

I had a 6x6 enlarger as a kid, and did exactly what I described to make a 135 format mask...not enough money in the budget of a 14 year old to buy a 135 format neg carrier!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    FWIW I use a 6 X 6 carrier for my 6 X 4.5 negatives without any masking. It's no worse than cropping a 6 X 6 negative to make a vertical or horizontal print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes you can use the 6x6 but if for some reason that shines too much extraneous light, black matte board works great for custom neg carriers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Yes you can use the 6x6 but if for some reason that shines too much extraneous light, black matte board works great for custom neg carriers.
    Yes, that will work well. Another possibility is to use a 6x6 frame of fully exposed and developed film, and to cut the 6x4.5 window out, then sandwich that with your negative. Do the final cropping with the easel.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just crop on easel.

Your baseboard and easel should be yellow, red or black, which will not reflect any light that your photo paper is sensitive to. I crop 4x5 negs down quite a bit when needed and never have felt the need for masking the negative.

Now, if you have bright white baseboard and easel, you might want to consider it...

Best,

Doremus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Hey guys!

I want to print 645 and my school only has 6x6 negative carriers. whats the best/easiest way to mask it to work?

I was lucky enough to find thin black plastic sheets; only 1mm thick and flat black,which I used to cut myself several masks for my L1200 negative carrier; worked great, but I don't remember where I got the material;it can be easily cut with a carpet knifeinto any shape; also great for making custom dodging tools.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mat board is a fine material for making a simple negative carrier, if you desire. The example pictured here is one designed from scratch for use in a Leitz Valoy enlarger.

Attachment 77186 Attachment 77187
    Last edited by DannL.; 11-19-2013 at 10:07 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Removed some words.
    5x4, 4x5, Half-Plate, 5x7, 8x10, 6x9cm, 6x7cm, 6x6cm, 6X4.5cm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin