Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,798   Online: 1019

Thread: More contrast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

More contrast

I have a few negatives I want to print that are a bit thin. I can get usuable images from them with a 5 VC filter, but would like to get a little more punch in the contrast. What are my options for doing this? I'm thinking selenium intensification of the negative may help a bit? What other techniques are out there?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what about making an internegative?

you could probably control the contrast a bit more?
    Last edited by Christopher Colley; 02-03-2005 at 05:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more precise
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You could also try local bleaching on the prints. Farmers reducer at double strength, I think.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Zeropoint,

You may want to try selenium toning the negatives.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi there Sjixxxy,

Good timing on this post...I just selenium intensified a problematic (thin) negative a couple days ago and got great results.

I always doubted the examples shown in Ansel's, The Negative, thinking that the difference shown must be an exaggeration in the printing of the book...but it's not! I had two negatives of the same scene (one compositionally weak, the other one of my best...both images screwed up in the same way I'm embarassed to say). I tested the procedure a tad differently than Ansel described it, refixing in TF-3 alkaline fixer, then toning for five minutes in a 1:2 solution (using water). I made prints of both negatives prior to toning at max-black time, then re-printed the test negative at max-black time after toning. There was a marked difference, but not enough for the other negative. I gave it 6 minutes...it now prints beautifully (for a work print) at normal contrast settings at max-black time.

One thing I was surprised about was how the shadows were effected. While there was no real difference in the print values around I and II, the higher values within the shadow textures were raised...lifted...revealed...opened.

Murray

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What about a high contrast paper developer? I've only recently tried Tetenal's Dokumol developer and I could get about one grade over and above Ilford's multigrade but I wasn't trying it ith a thin negative. Does any one know if there would be problems with this method, say sacrificing tonality?
    Best regards,
    James

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd be tempted to lith print for continuous tone. Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You might tweak your print developer with some carbonate and potassium bromide soloution. Same idea as using a high contrast developer, no potential damage to the neg, if it doesnt work, nothing lost.

Images
    If you were using a standard 5 filter, you might try adding a blue filter to it. Like a 47 tricolor or some blue lighting gel. Or maybe just the 47 alone. This can get you a little more bang from your photon.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The advantage of "correcting" the negative, is that subsequent prints can be made on or close to grade 2 in paper contrast...dodging, burning...everything becomes easier.

Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin