Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,138   Online: 1056

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Enlarging lens choice.

Good evening I have recently purchased a Leitz Valoy II that came with a Minolta 50mm f4 enlarging lens. Is it worth using or should I try and get an original focotar or try a nikon 50 el2.8?

Also does anyone know how to remove the original wiring loom. I can unscrew a bolt on the lamphouse which seems to allow adjustment of the bulb position but I need to remove it completely and install new wiring but can't work it out?

Regards

M

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a Minolta 50mm f4 and it's as good as most other enlarger lenses even those selling for very much more. I still have one and no hesitation using it despite having Nikons, Durst (Pentax & Schneider), Vivitar (Schneider), Schneider & Rodenstock lenses. I do use 50mm throught tpo 300mm enlarger lenses

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    I also had an example of that lens. It was very good. I gave it to a friend to upgrade his enlarger. I would try it out to see how you get on. There are lots of other good lenses available quite cheaply at the moment if it doesn't suit your taste. Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great enlarger! I still have mine even though I use a V35 for 35mm these days. The original focotar is nothing special. Just about any six-element schneider or rodagon or fujinon would be better. Sounds like that Minolta is better than the focotar, too, according to Ian so you may want to stick with that. You can always upgrade later.

I replaced the cord on my Valoy II, also. I don't remember there being anything special about it and it's packed away in a box now that I'd rather not dig out. Can you post a picture of the problem?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a 50mm Minolta on my Valoy II and I'm extremely pleased with it. It is a lens that I will NEVER get rid of.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    35mm

minolta f4?

Not familiar with the f4…. but the Minolta C.E. Rokkor-X 50mm f2.8, was W.Eugene Smith's Favorite on his Valloy. I have the set of 30mm, 50mm & 80mm Rokkor-X's and find them = to or better than any other 6 element, I have …
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    In that case I'll give it a go. it's actually a 4.5 not 4 note I've looked again. If I find its too dark I'll perhaps try a faster one. Thank you for the replies

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	342.6 KB 
ID:	77866

Here is a picture of the head. I wonder if I need to loosen the small screw in the knurled knob?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're right it's an f4.5, I've had two the first was used in a commercial darkroom and became scratched (the glass is relatively soft). I picked up a second more recently.

Yes loosen the small screws it should all come apart easily.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are some very small screws like you get on glasses where they hinge. I think these might hold the knob in place as it doesn't budge.

Is It ok to clean the condenser in warm soapy water. If not what's the best way to clean it. Also I've read about an extension tube for none Leitz lenses but mine doesn't seem to have this?
    Last edited by poppers; 12-03-2013 at 06:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin