Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,164   Online: 1025
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Mainecoonmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,190
    Images
    6

    An idea for making notes for darkroom printing

    I've tried for years to take good notes when I print in the darkroom. I'm dyslexic and I have horrible handwriting and typing is the only saving grace for note taking. I use an Ipad for note taking for various aspects of my life including shopping list, saving recipes and the list goes on. I'm a big fan of Evernote. It works on my computer and Ipad and will sync between devices. There's also Skitch, a cousin of Evernote that will let you doodle with your finger on your tablet and make notes on photos. Here's a sample.

    The cool thing is that it's synced into the cloud and I can search for the note. Being horribly disorganized and tend to lose paper, I'll probably stick with this.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evernote.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	511.4 KB 
ID:	77874
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

  2. #2
    Christopher Walrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milton, DE, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,980
    Blog Entries
    29
    Images
    19
    Good idea. I've always just scribbled my notes in a notebook. I keep a list of negs printed in the front. Also, this way, if I make special dodge/burn cut, I keep in the pages with that negs notes.

  3. #3
    pstake's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    715
    Images
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I've tried for years to take good notes when I print in the darkroom. I'm dyslexic and I have horrible handwriting and typing is the only saving grace for note taking. I use an Ipad for note taking for various aspects of my life including shopping list, saving recipes and the list goes on. I'm a big fan of Evernote. It works on my computer and Ipad and will sync between devices. There's also Skitch, a cousin of Evernote that will let you doodle with your finger on your tablet and make notes on photos. Here's a sample.

    The cool thing is that it's synced into the cloud and I can search for the note. Being horribly disorganized and tend to lose paper, I'll probably stick with this.


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Evernote.png 
Views:	157 
Size:	511.4 KB 
ID:	77874
    Great idea! I wonder if I can do that with my lowly iphone.

  4. #4
    Mainecoonmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,190
    Images
    6
    Tablets are going down in price. I've seen android tablets for under $200 this Xmas season.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    518
    Images
    4
    I am still pretty last century in the darkroom. I use a 3x5 card to record exposure information for each negative, and I store the card with the negative in a negative sheet - when I print, I put the printing info on the other side of the card. One sheet holds negative, 3x5 card and contact so everything is in one place.

  6. #6
    Mainecoonmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,190
    Images
    6

    Great idea!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    I am still pretty last century in the darkroom. I use a 3x5 card to record exposure information for each negative, and I store the card with the negative in a negative sheet - when I print, I put the printing info on the other side of the card. One sheet holds negative, 3x5 card and contact so everything is in one place.
    The cellulose analog method is a proven method that doesn't:
    1. Crash
    2. Need electricity
    Not dependent on the whims of software companies and can be read 100 years from now.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

  7. #7
    Newt_on_Swings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,020
    I usually jot basic info like lens, timing, contrast filters on back of paper with a pencil before i expose it.

    This is a cool method! Would the touch sensors work through a sheet of rubylith? Would be sort of like the screen protectors, but youd have to tape it on somehow. Maybe a simple flap you can remove when your done.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Mainecoonmaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,190
    Images
    6

    Maybe...

    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I usually jot basic info like lens, timing, contrast filters on back of paper with a pencil before i expose it.

    This is a cool method! Would the touch sensors work through a sheet of rubylith? Would be sort of like the screen protectors, but youd have to tape it on somehow. Maybe a simple flap you can remove when your done.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They do have screen protectors for tablets and phones. I guess you gotta tryit.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,051
    I'd suggest looking in to making your notes by stops of adjustment instead of seconds. That way you can more easily change print-size without having to recalculate your previous instructions. Most of the time, adjustments 'required' should be fairly self evident compared to a contact-print, but notes can help reduce paper usage by a sheet or so if you want to replicate a previous print quickly.

  10. #10
    Maris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Noosa, Queensland, Australia.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    The cellulose analog method is a proven method that doesn't:
    1. Crash
    2. Need electricity
    Not dependent on the whims of software companies and can be read 100 years from now.
    I envy those who are savvy with electronic devices. But I'm not so I have to do things the old way. I keep my hand-annotated darkroom notes on 8x10 paper forms printed out with a cheap laser printer. The notes then go together with the gelatin-silver photographs and the negatives in the same archive box. The part of the creative journey that happens in the darkroom is easy to repeat if I get orders for more photographs. And sometime in the future people I may never meet might be amused at all the fuss. Here's an example of notes and a resultant photograph:


    This is my darkroom record for making photographs from a series of negatives including negative #14. This negative will yield the photograph entitled "Twisted Snow Gum, Charlotte Pass.
    Gelatin-silver photograph on Ultrafine Silver Eagle VC FB photographic paper, image size 21.2cm X 16.2cm, from a 4x5 Efke IR820 negative exposed in a Tachihara 45GF double extension field view camera fitted with a Schneider Super Angulon 75mm f5.6 lens and IR680 filter.
    Titled and signed recto, stamped verso.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin