Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,780   Online: 972

Shooter
    Multi Format

Vignetting on 6x6 negative with 75mm Beslar 75mm? (Dumb question incoming)

Alright so for years I had a hybrid workflow where I would scan my negatives but finally picked up a darkroom setup. It's a Beseler 23C with a dichro head. I set everything up (power supply, Gralab 645 timer, etc) and figured I would throw in a 6x6 negative to see what it looks like on the baseboard.

There is a Beslar 75mm lens on the enlarger currently and even with the head moved all the way down, here is what I get. What am I doing wrong? From my research, 75mm should be fine for enlarging a 6x6 negative.

Please see attached for image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0252.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Possibly (I'd even say probably) it's the illumination of the negative that is limiting the coverage.
    1. If you can lift slightly the top half of the enlarger and peek at the film plane: is the 6x6 area fully covered by the illumination?
    2. If answer is no, can you adjust the distance between the bulb and the condenser? Is your condenser (size, number, type, and height of condenser lenses) adequate for 6x6?

I don't have a 23C (67CS); maybe another APUGer can give more specific advice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't have a 23c either, but I believe that enlarger has an adjustable condenser, which is probably set wrong.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    He said it was a dichro head, which is diffusion. It doesn't have condensors, nor does it change height for different formats. Instead you change in internal mixing box for smaller formats.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 23Cii I used to have didn't use different mixing boxes with the dichro head. I have never seen one do that, maybe something is misaligned inside tho.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not enough info included in the original post so some guessing here. 1) You have the Dual Dichroic head. 2) You have the 35mm mixing box installed in the Dual Dichroic head as pictured below. If 1 and 2 are correct you need the larger mixing box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4601.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	78413

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance someone has tried to put the dichro head on top of the condensors?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin