Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,579   Posts: 1,545,751   Online: 1009

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Timer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it was Bob Carnie who noted that any timer that needs an instruction manual is wrong for the job.

I would add that any timer that measures more than 1/10 of a second is equally useless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kaiser electronic timer goes till 1/10 of a second. For a beginner it will do good job. You can learn f-stop printing with that.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    another one to look out for is a Durst Labotim. Simple electonic unit that goes 0.1-9.9 secs in .1 increments then 10-99 (I think) in full seconds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    LPL ET-500 used with my Valoy II for some 5 years. After going through about 5 timers in the last 40 years the ET-500 finally meets all my needs. Foot switch is mandatory for my way of working. LED display, brightness control, audible count down (on/off), times 0.1 to 99.9s or 1 to 999s, enlarger and safelight outlets and relatively small size for my limited space. Available as 220-240V 50/60hz. Timer can be turned off mid cycle with foot switch - handy during burns.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm glad that Martin mentioned the metronome, as Ansel Adams used one of those. His stuff looks pretty good. I don't do small enlargements, so I use an old Simmon Omega Audible Repeating Timer (see blurry photo below), and it works well enough for me. I have a native distrust and dislike for all things digital, and/or electronically complicated. Of course, I also wear a wind up watch and have a TV antenna, so what do I know? The watch keeps excellent time. About every month it gains a few minutes. My TV and computer monitor are CRT too. The image quality is better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small one.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	432.0 KB 
ID:	78572
    Last edited by momus; 12-16-2013 at 08:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poppers View Post
    Can someone recommend an enlarger timer to use with my Leitz Valoy II enlarger. I live in the UK so any models that are available in the UK. Also what should I look out for in a timer, are some features more desirable than others?

Kind regards
    M

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    contact ?Richard at RHDesignsand let him give you a suggestion.he makes the best enlarger timers in the UK.Youll find him through Google
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even if you want more than a metronome, having a metronome function is handy.

If you wanted something new, this looks functional: http://www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk/...r/?k=:::873886
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I only use a metronome since 40 years.
    ---
    Uwe Pilz

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you use a Gralab clockface timer, you will be very sorry, and never know why. Do not hook your enlarger up to one. Hint: The enlarger bulb flickers in brightness the whole time. You'll NEVER hit on a consistent repeatable procedure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes, that's true. After all, it's clear that nobody has ever been able to print consistently with those immensely popular and still-manufactured devices, and every example ever made or to be made was and will be the same as your example. And you have the unassailable evidence of a statistical sample of 1 to back your statement up ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin