Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,063   Online: 805

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Enlarger Timer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only use my gralab 300 on my older 4x5 durst as exposures are long enough not to worry about variation of second timing. The gralab is not very accurate when setting exposures that are short. Same with time-o-lites, not very accurate. They are popular because they are simple and affordable but not the best choice if you have a little bit of a budget to spend. On my main lpl 670 i use a gralab 450 with footswitch. Very slim machine i have wall mounted behind the enlarger. Dials as i dont like the button time setting design versions of the more advanced gralabs. Dial setting is also very fast. Metronome when counting down, great for dodge & burning and 0.1 second timing, which is really needed for small prints with the head low.

I never connect the timers to a safelight as i use a thomas duplex, i just dim the vanes if i know im going to be working for a bit of time with lots of paper out, such as cutting from long rolls. If it turns off it needs to warm up again before its safe to use.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    You really want an f/stop timer if at all possible. There are several to choose from including free (if you can solder) - see my signature.

Failing that, an electronic timer, not an inconsistent mechanical knob.

Failing that, a loudly ticking clock. I printed for my first year with a loud clock and a table on the wall listing 1/4 stop timing increments. I would take the ticking clock over a gralab any day.
    I've used RH Designs timers and they are great. I've also built my own using Polyglot's instructions. I do not want to go back to a plain timer. If I had to I would get a digital that I could use with a table of fstop times. Having the ability to program steps in is also very nice for complicated prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    On my main lpl 670 i use a gralab 450 with footswitch. Very slim machine i have wall mounted behind the enlarger. Dials as i dont like the button time setting design versions of the more advanced gralabs. Dial setting is also very fast. Metronome when counting down, great for dodge & burning and 0.1 second timing, which is really needed for small prints with the head low.
    This is my favorite timer, ever. I hope this thread doesn't drive the prices up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    footswitches never worked for me.either I couldn't find them in the dark or Istepped on them accidently
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    footswitches never worked for me.either I couldn't find them in the dark or Istepped on them accidently
    Use glow tape all around the perimeter of the switch, or mount on the wall, or both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The gralab foot switches are not that common and dont pop up much. You can get a brand new foot pedal online or a music store that has a 1/4 inch output, a mono 1/4inch to 3.5mm plug adapter and you have a fully functional foot switch that can do start stop on press or double press to use on your machine. Get whatever size or color you want costs under $15. Much easier than looking for a used switch online.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by poppers View Post
    I think the RH designs timers will be out of my budget.
    then try this
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    but worth it,as you'll find out if you try to find a used unit.darkrooms are sold ,but these timers are hung on to.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    then try this
    is there a link or a picture missing from that post? or am i being dim?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    there is a file missing;an analog clock face,turning a gralab 300 into an f/stop timer on the cheapbut i 'm the dim one,having the hardest time uploading files to APUGmessages.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GraLab.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin