Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,307   Online: 829

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone. Light falloff/soft corners were my main concern with going wider, but it sounds like there are some good lenses out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Are you sure you can only go up to 9x13? That seems odd for any enlarger.
    This and a PM I received prompted me to double-check. And I was mistaken. It looks like I can actually get up to around 16" on the wide edge with the 50mm lens and the enlarger head at its highest position. It would still be good to reach 18" as I have some 12x18 mats and things I'd like to frame, so I may still look at a slightly wider lens to eke an extra couple inches out of my enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schneider APO-componon HM 40mm/2.8 was designed to solve your problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Schneider APO-componon HM 40mm/2.8 was designed to solve your problem.
    Yes I have got one of those (not cheap) to get me up to 20 x 16" with my Durst DA900, as I have limited height in my cellar darkroom, can't get the head to the top of the column.

Don't forget though that the limiting factor, unless you are prepared to swivel the head or drop the baseboard or use an angled column extender as made by Gnome in UK, is the distance between a perpendicular dropped from the centre of the lens to the bottom of the column, no matter how wide-angled a lens you have. If your easel has wide edges like the RR Beards which were made in UK it will seriously cut down your printed image. I use a virtually borderless easel so that I can get right out to the base of the column.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A wider lens will give you a shorter working distance. The Schneider 40mm is a nice lens, but it isn't wide enough to (for instance) make a big print from a half frame negative on most enlargers. Schneider also makes a 28mm enlarging lens, but most enlargers will not focus using it - it's just too short. Some enlargers have recessed mounting boards that will work with this and similar lenses. 35mm enlarging lenses exist, and they are a useful solution, if you can find a really good one. Some wide lenses have limited coverage and may not cover a full 35mm frame. You could also possibly adapt a wide angle camera lens to your enlarger, but camera lenses are generally less sharp than enlarging lenses, and you will see a deterioration in the image. Another possibility is to attach a close-up lens to your enlarger lens. This will shorten the focal length, but you will lose sharpness. The more traditional way to handle this problem is to either tilt the enlarger head horizontal or reverse the enlarger mechanism on the baseboard so that you can project the image on the wall or floor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin