Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,062   Online: 806

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wider Lens for Larger Prints?

My enlarger is the Omega C760. With my 50mm lens and the enlarger head (dichroic) raised to the max, I can print 35mm at roughly 13x9. It would be nice to print slightly larger without resorting to removing the baseboard, wall projecting, etc. Is it possible to use a wider lens with this set up?

Shooter
    35mm
    There are a few 40mm enlarging lenses that cover 24x36... Not an enormous gain, though.

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/m...cd/rodagon-wa/
    The Rodagon-WA has a shorter focal length and a larger image angle and hence it achieves a 70 % larger projection area than a conventional enlarging lens with standard focal length. It is therefore eminently suitable for section enlargements on enlargers with a relatively short column. Clumsy wall or floor projections can be avoided.

Schneider WA-Componon 40mm wide angle enlarging lens for 35mm and smaller format negatives. The wide angle design provides full coverage of the 35mm format while providing greater magnification compared to a 50mm lens.

See also:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-33772.html

Before buying, make sure you can move the lens stage an extra ~10mm closer to the negative stage. Also check diameter, retaining ring.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Any possibility will also probably come with the curse of light fall-off from center to edge. I'd forget about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Yashinon 40mm enlarging lens that is actually decent for gaining enlargment size. I'd be willing to part with it at a reasonable cost.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    If this enlarger has a vertical column, you might also be able to turn it around, e.g., placing the projected image on the floor or low tabletop, and use the existing lens (obviously not convenient for mixing the usual print sizes with the larger ones).

Shooter
    35mm
    With a diffuser type dichroic head you can "often" use a slightly wider lens than normal, assuming that it is designed for that purpose of course and that you avoid being unlucky with the diffuser design (there must be some models where there is noticeable fall-off). The infamous Focomat V35 is fitted with a 40mm lens and works admirably, he wrote, smugly.

There are other limitations though. You have to be able to focus the lens for all the printing sizes you may want to do, else coverage won't matter at all. Also, the horizontal distance between the vertical axis of the lens and the enlarger-column must be enough for you to fit a bigger easel in there, at the increased size you want to print - if there isn't room on the baseboard you may (depending on focussing again) be able to turn the column round and use the floor instead, giving possible alignment issues and also happily removing the need for having a wider lens . . .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't work with 35mm any more but FWIW I use a 60mm WA Componon to make 16 X 20 prints from 6 X 6 and 6 x 4.5 negatives with my Omega B8 and it works fine, with no noticeable light falloff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have used both the schneider and rodenstock wa 40mm lenses. Both are very sharp but the rodenstock wins out as my schneider is a slightly older version that is larger and without light up aperture display. The wide angle enlarger lenses dont have fall of problems if using a diffuse light source. They are also some of the sharpest enlarging lenses available and come in just behind apo lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear bvy,

Are you sure you can only go up to 9x13? That seems odd for any enlarger. If that is indeed the case, any of the 40mm lenses will get you into the 11x14 range. A less expensive solution would be to physically increase the space between the bottom of the enlarger column and the baseboard. A few thicknesses of MDF would do the trick. You might even find some cutoffs in the scrap bin at the Home Depot (by the radial arm saw).

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "The wide angle enlarger lenses dont have fall of problems if using a diffuse light source"

Despite my original expectations to the contrary, my 60MM WA Componon works fine with my Omega B8 condenser enlarger, using the auxiliary condenser designed for a 75mm lens. I suspect it would also work with the 50mm "thick" aux. condenser, but I normally leave the 75mm "thin" one in place for smaller prints and can't see any reason to change it [I searched for months for that long-discontinued 75mm condenser and would rather not risk dropping it].

I used the WA lens for the first time recently to make all the prints for a solo show and was very pleased with the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin