Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,302   Online: 771

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd buy the one that had the negative carriers, and if possible, a lens or two. It's the extras that will run you more than the enlarger. Any of these, assuming they're in good shape, should be fine. I suspect the Saunders would be the best too, but again, condition and the other necessary tid bits you'll require need to be factored in. Make sure the condenser(s) are in good shape and are actually there! It's craigslist stuff.

If you can, try and find a photographer that is selling a complete darkroom set up. The trays, film washer, safelight, etc can all run into serious money (for me anyway) if you have to buy them new, or have to pay shipping on individual used items.
    What he said ^^

If an enlarger is complete, works and has the neg carriers and lenses for what you want it for, and the price is right go for it, especially if it comes with all the other darkroom bits too. Don't worry too much about brands. Everybody promotes what they have and there are perennial arguments about diffuser or condenser, glassless or glass neg carriers, colour heads or filters. Seems everybody makes work what they have. Enlargers are cheap these days. If you really do end up with a dog, move it on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I think $50 is a very good deal if it works and comes with lens, carriers, baseboard, timer, and darkroom developing equipment. Thats an inexpensive start with a nice sturdy machine.
    +1, unless you intend to shoot 6x7, because I believe that the Omega maxes out at 6x6.

On APUG, with questions like this, I think it is safe to share the Craigslist/kijiji links, so we can look at them and give you feedback.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have 14 working enlargers of all flavors, 5 are LPLs and I test all of them with laser alignment. LPLs are aligned out of the box and stay that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    What he said ^^

If an enlarger is complete, works and has the neg carriers and lenses for what you want it for, and the price is right go for it, especially if it comes with all the other darkroom bits too. Don't worry too much about brands. Everybody promotes what they have and there are perennial arguments about diffuser or condenser, glassless or glass neg carriers, colour heads or filters. Seems everybody makes work what they have. Enlargers are cheap these days. If you really do end up with a dog, move it on.
    that's true. still, I'm a big DURSTfan.on the other hand,6-element enlarging lenses are all good no matter what brand.Look for package deals.they give you the most fror the buck.you can profit from somebody's wish for a convenient sell.splitting it up takes effort and folks try to avoid that.you can turn that into your benefit, because package buyers are hard to get.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be aware that external vibration will compromise image clarity.
    Any enlarger that vibrates like a tuning fork will destroy sharpness no matter how precise the lens/negative/easel alignment is.
    Here's a simple test to illustrate how stable any enlarger is...
    http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...ead.php?t=9348

Reinhold

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use Beseler with good lens that allow for 4x5, medium format and small format - the full-meal-deal so to speak.
    It sounds like the choices you have are fairly good.
    Make sure parts are not worn out or missing!
    The movements should be smooth and I think good ... very good lenses for enlarging are a significant factor to darkroom practice.
    Also think about the amount of work you plan to do in a darkroom versus the cost and what you get for your investment.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a Saunders LPL 7700 and love it. I highly recommend it. The universal glass carrier is the only neg carrier you need for anything 35mm up to 6x7.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Omega D2-V

Hi
    I don't know if it's too late but I have 2 Omega D2-V, one in my darkroom and one on the floor since 3 years.

I can sale one for 75.00 with a El-Nikkor 50mm f2.8, a film holder (35mm) and an electronic timer (I forgot the brand).

You can do 35mm, format 120 and 4 x 5. I can ship it by Purolator.

Send me an email to photographienormandblais@sympatico.ca

Normand

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin