Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,710   Online: 964

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

How to estimate exposure times?

Hi!

New to the forum and wow, this will be fun! So much information to read that will help me getting started!

I would like to have a first, very very basic question that i am currently thinking about:

How to you estimate the exposure time for enlarging?
    I mean, i will do a test stripe to find out what the perfect exposure time will be like...but how to you set the first time to start with?
    Or the time for contact prints?

Maybe i am overthinking something here (or just being really stupid) but i seriously have no idea

I am using Ilford Multigrade Paper...

Thanks for your help!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG

This is one way to get the time. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/41621-...on-Print-Scale

Another way is to have most of the paper covered by a card. Expose for 10 seconds, then move the card and expose for 10 seconds. Continue until the sheet is completely exposed. Ralph W. Lambrecht in his book describes how to do this by doubling the exposure time for each position. He is on APUG and the book is worth buying especially if you are just starting out.

After a while you will know that with lens A set at aperture B and paper C it take D seconds, is the starting point.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah--a projection print scale pie-wedge doohickie gets you in the ballpark, and you go from there with test strips.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Do you use a consistent time for making contact (proof) prints of your negatives? If so, then you should be able to look at the contact sheet and know if the enlargement will print close to a standard time, need more time or less. After you have made a few enlargements from your negatives, you will know the base exposure time for each enlargement size. If a proof print of a 35mm negative looks good and it normally requires a 12 second exposure for enlargement, you know to do test stops with 12 seconds as the mid point.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Also a Ilford EM-10 will get you close. I shoot either 8x10 or 4x5 and will make an 8x10 enlargement of each shot. With the EM-10 I find my D-max point take a meter reading and set the enlarger to the pre-determined time and f-stop. 80% of the time I get a good enough idea on weather I want to mess with that print or not. I also have a pie wedge, But prefer the EM-10
    Paul Ward
    Calumet C-1 Green Monster
    Toyo 45CF
    Durst 184 Enlarger
    www.jpaulsenward.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    10" X 8" at 2 stops down using a 2.8 lens, 6 seconds.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    10" X 8" at 2 stops down using a 2.8 lens, 6 seconds.
    How can you say that if you do not know the wattage of the enlarger bulb, whether he is using a condenser or a diffuser, which paper ...?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    How can you say that if you do not know the wattage of the enlarger bulb, whether he is using a condenser or a diffuser, which paper ...?
    He states he is using multigrade and I take it his bulb is standard to the enlarger. I am trying to give him a ball park time without confusing him with too much information.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, you can guess half a dozen times or run a test strip or two and have an answer for sure. Even for contact prints.

Oh, and welcome to the insanity.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CHHAHH View Post
    Hi!

New to the forum and wow, this will be fun! So much information to read that will help me getting started!

I would like to have a first, very very basic question that i am currently thinking about:

How to you estimate the exposure time for enlarging?
    I mean, i will do a test stripe to find out what the perfect exposure time will be like...but how to you set the first time to start with?
    Or the time for contact prints?

Maybe i am overthinking something here (or just being really stupid) but i seriously have no idea

I am using Ilford Multigrade Paper...

Thanks for your help!
    pure talent!
    my first 10,000 prints were way off.after that experience and economic need replaced the guesswork
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin