Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,511   Posts: 1,543,571   Online: 1095

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Its probably the bellows that makes things look crooked as the folds aren't 100% square, and the funny angle of the picture. I am getting basically the same results with 2 different brand 50mm lenses on 2 different Beseler brand lens boards.
    I don't know the units history from the late 60's when it was made till now, but if you can think of anything that could be changed to make a 50mm lens focus at a different distance from the film without changing the distance between the film and easel I am willing to try it.

EDIT: Sorry, everybody posted at once, I just checked it and its about 2" internally from film holder to lens board.

2nd edit: just to clarify since I'm thinking some people might have missed it, this is actually working fine as is, the only question now is whether or not the focus bellows is supposed to be almost fully compressed with a 50mm lens and 35mm film. What I read in other threads would lead me to indicate this is normal, but if someone else has a 23c II and wants to duplicate the experiment to check I would be very happy.
    Last edited by PPPPPP42; 12-30-2013 at 11:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe you'll have to crop your 8x10's or print 11x14

Anyway, all seems within spec at this point. You probably do have to smush the bellows to get 8x10

And maybe the bellows is not as supple as it was when it was new.
    Last edited by Bill Burk; 12-30-2013 at 11:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done 5x7s to 11x14s from 35mm and I'm sure I never had the bellows smushed. I just wish I was in PA to go check and measure mine. It just seems like something is off in this.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just checked again and the focus barely changes between top and bottom (probably not even one full turn of focus knob) so I can focus just fine between max height which gives me about 14x20 or so and minimum height which is an image of about 3 3/4 x 2 1/2.

It's really a great enlarger, I just had issues at first where parts were slipping due to the resistance of the bellows so I couldn't focus at all, and then once that was fixed by an internal tension adjustment the only question was whether or not it was normal for the bellows to be so smashed together through the whole 35mm film with 50mm lens focus range, which it seems we have determined is normal. I would love to get confirmation later on that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PPPPPP42 View Post
    ….. the only question was whether or not it was normal for the bellows to be so smashed together through the whole 35mm film with 50mm lens focus range, which it seems we have determined is normal. I would love to get confirmation later on that.
    I really don't think it is normal - I don't recall having that at all with mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you focusing right? The lens node to negative distance is only 50mm with an extreme enlargement. Smaller enlargements should focus with the lens farther than 50mm from the negative. If you have to squish the bellows like that only for a big enlargement, that is probably OK. Set it up for a 4x6" print and you will see that the bellows is not as compressed.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is normal for the bellows to be compressed when using a 50 mm lens. Perhaps the bellows was replaced with a longer or thicker one at some time. As long as you can focus, don't worry about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have softcopies of the CII and CIII manuals. Email me if you'd like a copy.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin