Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,780   Online: 1051

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 378910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been asked if my work is digital or traditional. I've been asked about what format or film I've used. I've never been asked if the print is full frame. I doubt anyone has.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    I absolutly NEVER crop. Unless I have to.
    Exactly. And I never say never too. :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sorry it's such a hot topic for me, I don't get why I am so obsessed with it...

And since I prefer specific examples to generalities, Roger Cole and I were lucky to participate in a print exchange a while back. His print is one of my favorites.

Sun & Blue Hole is a small waterfall/pond scene taken on 4x5 and printed on 11x14 with 1/4 inch clean border. Was it cropped? Literally yes it is because the negative edges do not show. Roger, I believe you probably used most of the negative and only cropped as needed to show a clean edge.

If I had been shooting 4x5 all along this might have been my standard presentation. It's classic. It meets the "requirement" to use most of the film's real estate.

I could have printed my Tiki Room Patio on the whole paper like that.

But the dirty border road I went down came about from my being adamant about wanting to show everything that I saw in the finder (when I was primarily using 35mm).

Shooter
    35mm
    I print the full negative. The client/collector takes the print and puts a matte board over it. The matte is to his liking: it crops the image or it doesn't. I absolutely don't care.

It's just that effing simple.
    Last edited by NB23; 01-04-2014 at 12:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    NB23,

I don't know if it's good to not know Henri Cartier-Bresson, maybe you are developing your own style this time of your life and don't want to be influenced externally (That is fine while you are searching - but be sure to expose yourself to great people when you are free). Maybe you aren't impressed by fame. Aside from the famous shots, he provided a lifetime of work that I would recommend seeing. I particularly like the one of a woman walking up cobblestone steps with a tray of buns on her head. ITALY. Abruzzo. Scanno. 1951. Cliveh so strongly exhibits that style that I sometimes feel HCB's presence.

I found this appropriate red warning on the Magnum site when I went to look for the picture. While we discuss our preferences haphazardly, HCB made it contractual and permanently so... This photo may not be cropped or trimmed in reproduction.
    Bill, I really love his shot of the kid with his hands over his eyes, with some plant twigs framing him.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    I print the full negative. The client/collector takes the print and puts a matte board over it. The matte is to his liking: it crops the image or it doesn't. I absolutely don't care.

It's just that effing simple.
    In your case it's that simple... Your prints don't need any cropping. No explanation needed, they look great that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    There is nothing sacrosanct as to how a negative is used. Equal thought, in both the viewfinder and darkroom, is necessary. The basic rule should be to utilize as much of the negative possible while taking the photo, and framing/cropping (in the darkroom) to best express what caused you to take the photo in the first place.
    Even this is just personal choice, not a basic rule. Personal strictures can bring order but they can also block the way to new ideas. I try hard to question my own basic assumptions, usually I fail badly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really value threads like this. The passion people feel for their work is inspiring to me. I can get so wrapped up in my own technique/methodology that I sometimes forget or don't see how other people work. I find it interesting as well as the the thought process and the philosophy behind the shots. No matter how heated or intense these discussions can become, all opinions are valuable to me. (I'm not saying they aren't for others that's not what I'm trying to say.)

I too am a purist about some things so I can understand where ND is coming from regarding cropping. I won't watch any movie in CG, I hate the way it looks, and I loathe over-saturated colours that are completely removed from reality. I actually prefer silent films, noir and Italian Neo-realist stuff because they did so much with so little. But I stray from topic.

Have a great day everyone. Stay warm!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For me I crop most of my pictures. I shoot with either a 4x5 or 8x10 so I have plenty of real estate to work with. Back in the day with 35mm i would try my best to not have to crop. With 35 you loose too much space. Also with the 8x10 i'm limited by two lens and where you place it.
    Paul Ward
    Calumet C-1 Green Monster
    Toyo 45CF
    Durst 184 Enlarger
    www.jpaulsenward.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You are always cropping. When you frame with the camera, you are cropping.

I think this idea of using the full negative comes from the fact that one has paid for the full film & to not use it, is wasting money. This is similar to eating everything on your plate.

There is nothing wrong with this, nor is there anything wrong with not eating something on your plate that you do not like, or cropping a negative to eliminate something you do not want to show now, later.

You paid for the film, you’re free to use as you see fit. There is no wrong way. Everyone is free to choose. JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin