Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,646   Online: 853

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One consideration I always try and bear in mind, with occasional failure, is to remember that in all likelihood I am printing 8x10. With this in mind I always try and leave a little space on the short side in, say, 135 roll film so that I have something that can be cropped out if I am printing full sheet 8x10.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the viewfinder I capture everything I can, when printing I crop to emphasize what I thought was important.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends on what you are trying to do. If ones subject is the negative, maybe the whole thing needs to be shown.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I try to nail it on the neg. It makes the printing go faster & easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends on whether you're trying to be the perfect photographer or deliver your message perfectly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try to print what I intended when I made the photo... usually I don't crop. Sometimes I make a picture with a particular crop in mind... lately I've made a few where the plan was to crop to 2:1 ( about 4.5 x 9 inch print ).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try to get it right on the negative. If the print is for a specific purpose or audience, and the need/assignment is better fulfilled, cropped—then I crop.

When I studied documentary photography at Salt, (back when it was all analog), we had two teachers. One was a retired AP photographer, who thought full-frame printing was lofty but a good goal to have.

The other teacher had an MFA and most of her work was not as deadline-oriented. She strongly discouraged cropping.

I wish I could say the one who discouraged cropping was the better photographer or vice versa. But they both made images that literally made me catch my breath.

So there was a very deliberate tension created around the full-frame/crop debate and I still feel that tension when I print.

I think striving for full-frame can only make you a better photographer. Cropping can make your work more desirable to a majority of people who don't give a shit about lofty things.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Where would you crop "Ava, Mendocino"? (Exercise for Subscribers because the print is in the Galleries)...

I think of photography as a kind of poetry, and so I enjoy the entire photograph as a whole, edge to edge. If it doesn't work that way, I reserve the right to crop. But lately, it's been full-frame full-steam ahead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Where would you crop "Ava, Mendocino"? (Exercise for Subscribers because the print is in the Galleries)...
    I wouldn't...great moment, great framing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    sometimes i crop because i can.. but sometimes i can't .
    so i do my best to get it right in-camera.

i am guessing even the people who claim full frame or death
    and got famous for their full frames, wished they weren't such
    zealots and could crop .. but then again maybe i am wrong ..
    ( ive seeen cropped contact prints, taped chromes and other things
    i never thought were possible )

are there any writers that published rough drafts ?

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin