Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,718   Posts: 1,514,838   Online: 966

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1115161718192021

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I never tell anyone whether I crop or not.

If you don't know, do you wonder whether it's been cropped or not?
    i always wonder ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    And that would be a bad thing?
    Huh? I don't understand what you're asking.

Accidentally tilting the camera when you don't mean to might or might not be a bad thing depending on the photo but sometimes it can be. The grid is certainly not a bad thing because it's useful for avoiding that when it matters to me and easily ignored when it doesn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tilting the camera. Not tilting the camera, keeping horizons straight, just some other "rules" that can be helpful or a hindrance and can get some people worked up.
    A grid can be handy, no doubt. Use one sometimes my self.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I'm ok with tilting it when I mean to tilt it. I'm ok with it ending up tilted when it doesn't matter. I just don't want to accidentally tilt it when I didn't mean to and don't want it tilted!

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most of my experience is in digital, however composition is composition whether it's digital or analogue. I always use primes, I work for my shot and I always, even with lighting, try and get things right in camera. I find it makes life easier in post. However, like many people have said, if cropping makes the final image stronger, I say crop, crop, crop away! I do think there is something to learn though, from cropping. I think by cropping, it can help you hone your 'seeing' skills when composing your shot.
    I'm going to run with both hands...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I try to maximize the negative, but sometimes I just dont have the right lens.

Also, why does it matter. Either you crop when you press the trigger or you crop after, it still will just be a slice of the scene that you saw with your eyes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will 99% of the time shoot for the final crop. I will not crop in the darkroom. There are only two instances that I will crop. I will crop when i'm shooting wildlife and don't have a long enough lens. Or I dont feel like being wastefull and cutting a sheet of paper to a square. (I shoot 6x6 for everything now)

I have never cropped a 4x5 neg and I also grind my holders to show the edges of the frame on all my holders.

I have nothing against people the crop but photography is a hobby for me and I like to work within restrictions. Restrictions like cropping in camera. Using only one lens. Adapting one camera for everything. Using wire frame sports finders. Using one film.

I like the adventure of it.
    Last edited by cjbecker; 01-28-2014 at 08:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I crop, (and use multiple lenses etc) I understand your point cjbecker. Restrictions will focus your attention on the subject matter and how best to capture it, one of the reasons I shoot film with a manual camera. It is an adventure.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin