Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,280   Online: 1135

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Where would you crop "Ava, Mendocino"? (Exercise for Subscribers because the print is in the Galleries)...
    I like it exactly as it is and it is a beauty. My answer will be unpopular and maybe sneered at ( I know I know... the "hard lesson" all art students learn and all that, phooey! ). It's your photograph, you made it, you are the one who decided it was a moment worth releasing the shutter ( and it obviously was ) and if that is the photo you had in mind then that is what it should be. If your intent was to crop, then fine. Otherwise, I think if you change it to please a fictitious viewer or art collector or APUG member, then you shortchange yourself. The point of the whole thing is that it is your creation. Unless your goal is to make something to sell, or to please a client, then you own it. If someone else thinks it should be cropped then they should go make a picture and crop it to their heart's content

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I crop when I need to/why wouldn't I?!! Lately I've been experimenting with printing to a 16:9 ratio, as a grand, self-amusing experiment to see if anyone notices, or if people have some kind of reaction to what must now be such a familiar ratio for viewing visual content in the home. So far, nothing... :-) But the aspect does feel strangely 'right'.

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never never never let the "rules" rule! I've had cameras with viewfinders that weren't seeing exactly what the film did. I had to include a little more in the frame of the viewfinder then print the image I actually saw when I took it. Even so the act of pointing the camera and choosing the distance is essentially cropping albeit in camera.

When Ansel Adams had a fire in the Yosemite studio he had to put all the glass plates in the bath tub. The famous Half Dome plate lost part of the image so he had to crop the image in printing. He didn't throw it away but used what he had. And that's good, it is a great photograph!
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    I crop when I need to/why wouldn't I?!! Lately I've been experimenting with printing to a 16:9 ratio...
    I really like about 1.7:1 which is pretty close to that -- I agree there is something that feels "right" about it. I have several easels with that aspect and often compose with that in mind. I guess the point I was trying to make is not to do with "full frame" per se, but with intentions. I think is is perfectly great to compose a photo with the crop and aspect ratio of the print in mind.

What bothers me a little is if the photo is rearranged and disconnected from when it was made, for me personally that takes something away from it. Sometimes I get the impression that some people here forget there was a conscious choice to make a photo and think the final result viewed in a vacuum by an anonymous viewer is all that matters. I think imperfections and quirks and even "mis-framing" are part of the moment in time the photo caught. Sorry if I sounded like I was standing on a soap box!
    Last edited by NedL; 01-01-2014 at 01:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I prefer to print full frame, especialy with 6x6 negatives as I like the square format, but as all but 2 of my cameras are fixed lens it doesn't always work, so I tend to crop, if I have to, within the square frame, or 35mm frame,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's extremely rare that I crop an image during printing. If I do I've almost always made that decision at the time of shooting not later in the darkroom.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's extremely rare that I crop an image during printing. If I do I've almost always made that decision at the time of shooting not later in the darkroom.

Ian
    Good point, Ian!
    It happens to me that I have with me one of my square cameras and looking at the groundglass/screen I thik "Now that would look so good in panoramic format." So I try printing it thus in the darkroom and continue wishing I had an xpan or a 6x14camera (this aspect ratio somehow suits me best - for me is a sweet spot between 6x12 and 6x17..

Sent from my i9300 using Tapatalk
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    Good point, Ian!
    It happens to me that I have with me one of my square cameras and looking at the groundglass/screen I thik "Now that would look so good in panoramic format." So I try printing it thus in the darkroom and continue wishing I had an xpan or a 6x14camera (this aspect ratio somehow suits me best - for me is a sweet spot between 6x12 and 6x17..

You highlight something else worth mentioning.

I work predominantly with large format (since 1986) and used to carry a Leica as well but found I wasn't using any of the images/negatives. Now I carry a TLR instead and found I love the square format, and also have a 6x17 camera. At times I carry all three when I think I may want to shoot Panoramic images.

Here's examples where formats are important, all shot at Aphrodisias in the Stadium.

All full frame.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice examples, Ian.
    When I go to photgraph in earnest I usually bring the 18x24 and a 6x6 MF - I make then prints from both formats - Kallitypes from LF an mostly lith prints from MF. But often I think that it might work better if I used only one format/system. But for that I'd need to find and buy a 13x18 enlarger.

| website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I try to get the framing right in the camera. Sometimes I succeed. Sometimes not. Actually I enjoy fine-tuning the crop afterwards. It allows a perspective I may have not seen when shooting.

But here is a thought. What if the crop in the camera does not meet what you see? You're limited to the cameras format. What if the camera allowed you to format in the camera? Would you use it to get a better shot? If so, then what's wrong with cropping after the fact if the camera does not meet what you like to frame with it originally?

Here's another issue. What if the print format does not meet the negative or chromes format? What if you have the fortune to get it printed on a magazine cover? So you have to crop anyway.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin