Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,633   Online: 1121

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I use a 6x7 camera that I do not ever turn sideways, I almost always crop a bit or more off the long ends if need be. Once I learned to cut my own mats, I was no longer a slave to the dimensions of pre-cut windows, and found that very liberating in terms of print size. I try to put the edges where they need to be regardless of where the film rebate begins. Making a photograph is an ongoing process, and, for me at least, continues well into the printing phase with decisions sometimes coming at the very last moment. Obviously for Polaroid or contact prints, I'd have to do things differently, but that's probably why I have zero interest in Polaroids or contact prints...too restrictive!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Depends on whether you're trying to be the perfect photographer or deliver your message perfectly.
    Yes, indeed. Also, I never know at the moment of image capture all the possible uses for that image in the future. For you young photographers, the future may include many decades with major technological changes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whatever makes the image work.

I scan all my negatives and wet-print a very very small number. I've never printed a scanned image.
    When I use the scans for sharing on Flickr, for instance, I will often "tidy up" an image by cropping; I have noticed, however, for the few images I actually do print, they are almost exclusively from the full frame whatever format I've used. So the implication is that for me getting it "right" in-camera works best.

Jim Jones' point is rather a good one, certainly one for the dogmatists to keep in mind.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "I try, but fail most of the time. I'm not Bresson"

LOL; what makes you think that Cartier-Bresson didn't crop?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another issue I've run into. I often make slide shows then burn to a DVD to show on an HDTV. If the camera is shooting let's say 4:3, I'll crop but make sure all my pictures are cropped to 4:3. That ways the show won't have different formats popping up on the screen. However, it adds the burden of forcing the crop which sometimes makes picking the best one out more difficult than if I could crop to any format.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I usually use a 6 X 6 camera, but don't really like square prints so, of course, I crop. I have vertical and horizontal outlines on an overlay on the focussing screens of my cameras and normally intentionally compose for a vertical or horizontal, but appreciate the opportunity to change my mind later. I'll also crop further when I think it improves the photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try to use as much of the negative's real estate as possible. Sometimes it's all of it, sometimes it's not. I don't consider cropping a failure. It's just one of the options we have in order to make a better finished photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Composing to the viewfinder is a silly and artificial constraint. It is in the same class of declasse affectations as rough borders produced by filed carrier edges. The eye does not see that way. I crop or not depending upon what is required by the subject. I eliminate what is not germane to the image.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 01-01-2014 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try seriously to work with whatever format I'm using. But if at some point along the way I decide losing a bit off one side or another -- or several -- seems interesting, off it comes; and no sleep lost!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Another issue I've run into. I often make slide shows then burn to a DVD to show on an HDTV. If the camera is shooting let's say 4:3, I'll crop but make sure all my pictures are cropped to 4:3. That ways the show won't have different formats popping up on the screen. However, it adds the burden of forcing the crop which sometimes makes picking the best one out more difficult than if I could crop to any format.
    Why would it matter if different formats pop up? I do this too, but happily crop to suit, some vertical some horizontal etc.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin