Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,859   Posts: 1,583,121   Online: 902

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121317 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    It does? I don't see that, no more than, say, dodging.
    I rest my case.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What case? Or is that your point?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Cropping is a viable, valid and powerful means of creativity. I would ask nobody to change if they use cropping to eke the n'th degree of perfection from an image. Because that is what cropping does very well.

cliveh, I think you are saying the same... but that you would discourage your students from using that as a crutch for sloppy composition while shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At times like this I become increasingly convinced that Clive is Roger Hicks in disquise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Why would it matter if different formats pop up? I do this too, but happily crop to suit, some vertical some horizontal etc.

I use fades where one shot fades into another. It has a nicer and more consistant flow when everything is the same size. Verticles do present a problem though. So do movie clips when they're different. Sometimes I'll deliberately shoot 4:3 movies rather than 16:9 so that when I fade stills into movies and back again in the same "slide show".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah ok. I've had a friend do that with my shots - with permission, I sent him scans of the slides I shot at group functions and he put together a slide show on his TV - but it was sort of an aside to the "real" slide show which I projected old fashion style.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This whole thread reminded me when I use to shoot chromes and project slide shows. The only modifiation you were allowed was to not include the bad slides in the show, a related form of cropping I suppose. Other than that, no crops, no lighting or color adjustments, no nothing. It forced you to try to get the best shot in the camera; a good practice. It was also a lot of fun because you didn't have to worry about editing an individual slide other than burning it. Of course most of my shots were from vacations. So there was a lot of allowances for bad aesthetics since the content had to do with a record of the vacation to talk about. However, even then, I shot for good and interesting content and composition. It's too late for cropping or Photoshop then.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    This whole thread reminded me when I use to shoot chromes and project slide shows.
    And each slide was mercilessly cropped by the cardboard mount.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Fit the image to the view", essentially, in-camera cropping. I have never, ever cropped any print that has been framed, in 30 years of practice, I just have not done it, that's the way I learned three decades ago. Everything is watched in the viewfinder: only what is desired is there and no more than I wish.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    And each slide was mercilessly cropped by the cardboard mount.
    I probably didn't notice. I was shooting with a camera that had less than 100% view in the finder so the part that was cropped by the cardboard I never saw!

Which of course raises the point. What do people do who don't see all of the image the film is capturing?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin