Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,421   Online: 942

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    They used to make slide mounts with smaller windows and, I think, even different frame shapes for SOME selection in cropping.

None the less, all my projected slides are shot on 35mm and the vast majority are shot with a zoom. That makes "in camera cropping" much easier.

I'll just happily continue to crop away any time I think it improves the final print and y'all that don't like or approve of that can continue insisting every print you make is full frame then, ok? So everybody is happy?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    I probably didn't notice. I was shooting with a camera that had less than 100% view in the finder so the part that was cropped by the cardboard I never saw!

Which of course raises the point. What do people do who don't see all of the image the film is capturing?
    You don't need to see it in the viewfinder to know. Composition happens in the eye, I know where the frame falls. I'm never surprised by anything at the edges unless it's a total grab shot, over the head kind of thing. If I can put my head where the camera is I'll know what I'll get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    As you state that most of your photographs are cropped, but your latest exhibition features full frame, does this mean you are changing your style and approach to photography?
    Both approaches have powers, just different implications, and it's an advantage to knowingly use one or the other to optimise an artistic statement.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    ... I'll just happily continue to crop away any time I think it improves the final print and y'all that don't like or approve of that can continue insisting every print you make is full frame then, ok? So everybody is happy?
    Quite happy. That is "the right attitude" if you ask me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only Rule I follow is "There are no rules"!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    And each slide was mercilessly cropped by the cardboard mount.
    Nitpicker
    I used to shoot slides for projection exclusively and that tought me to frame, compose, include and exclude in the finder. Somehow I also find it makes me apreciate the different formats more but thats propably just me, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Composing to the viewfinder is a silly and artificial constraint. It is in the same class of declasse affectations as rough borders produced by filed carrier edges. The eye does not see that way. I crop or not depending upon what is required by the subject. I eliminate what is not germane to the image.
    Making the most of your format can never be a silly and artificial constraint. Moving up format to allow for cropping seem to be a heavy and expensive way of doing photography
    Finetuning is ok if unavoidable but the making of a strong composition before exposure is what makes you do your best. Has "I can fix that later in....." mentality infected the analoque world. I like to try and visualize the final image when I look in the finder or at the groundglass and if I fail I mostly also fail in resurecting the image through cropping but again thats just me, YMV
    Best regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

SÝren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Making the most of your format can never be a silly and artificial constraint. Moving up format to allow for cropping seem to be a heavy and expensive way of doing photography
    Finetuning is ok if unavoidable but the making of a strong composition before exposure is what makes you do your best. Has "I can fix that later in....." mentality infected the analoque world. I like to try and visualize the final image when I look in the finder or at the groundglass and if I fail I mostly also fail in resurecting the image through cropping but again thats just me, YMV
    Best regards
    Working to the full format without cropping becomes instinctive, it's rarely a constrain, so I agree with you.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger Cole and Gerald Koch are correct.

Crop with the camera. Crop with the enlarger. From a compositional perspective there is no practical difference, merely a philosophical bent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Itís similar to music and the way itís played. Some musicians will follow the score, others will improvise, play by ear, etc. Both methods work & will get good results, depending on the musician. You may choose different methods to fit the circumstances & not necessarily do it only one way, all the time. YMMV
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    ... I used to shoot slides for projection exclusively and that tought me to frame, compose, include and exclude in the finder. Somehow I also find it makes me apreciate the different formats more but thats propably just me, YMMV....
    This brings back memories. I cut my teeth in photogrpahy developing slide-tape training programs. Remember them... with the "beep" indicating that it is time to change slides? I alwyas found it easier to accomodate the slide mount crop by NOT having a 100% viewfinder. But guess what; we ALWAYS had 100% viewfinders so we seemed to spend a lot of time sctuitinizing the edges of the frame. When in-camera cropping let us down and re-shoot was not possible (which was often) we also utilized slide mounts with alternative openings. As Roger mentioned, there were many offered in many different shapes. We also did a bit of minor edge cropping with a foil tape. Few people seemed to notice or care that some of the frames were not full sized. Those days could be painful and frustrating.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin