Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,226   Online: 808

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Itís similar to music and the way itís played. Some musicians will follow the score, others will improvise, play by ear, etc. Both methods work & will get good results, depending on the musician. You may choose different methods to fit the circumstances & not necessarily do it only one way, all the time. YMMV
    Hmm I don't find that analogy quite appropiate(need a better word). to me if consequently cropping images e.g. from one aspec ratio to another its like trying to make the Bratch sound like the Violin. To me the improvisation and play by ear is the compositon within the frame. You may be bending or breaking the regular "rules" of composition but you work within the limits of your instrument. Consequent cropping is like tryiong to turn your instrument into another.
    Best regards
    Last edited by Soeren; 01-02-2014 at 12:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    There was a time when it was considered a terrible sin to crop a negative. People would make photo prints that included parts of the film beyond the image (say, the sprocket holes) to prove their hearts were pure, and that they did not crop. I always considered this a bunch of hooey. In the normal course of events there are many times when the perfect no-crop image is jut not what is in front of your lens. I try to crop s little possible but don't think I will burn in hades because I do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As always on apug, the straw men get set up and the straw men fall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I compose in the camera because of all the slide film I use to shoot. But I think the more important issue is not so much cropping but angle and direction of the shot. It's one thing if you were too wide and picked up things on the edges that you crop out later. Where the issue is more imporant if by not formatting in the cqmera, you wind up with branches going into people's heads. Or the balance isn't quite right. Cropping won't help then. You have to move the camera to compose the content properly in the frame. That's why it's a good habit to compose in the camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I croup almost all photos film/digital. I find use a little wide angle shop is better than missing part of the photo. This why I use darkroom/photoshop. I first start using cropping with slide projector and wall with thumb tacks back 1964

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Do you try to compose in the viewfinder and not crop in the darkroom? I try to, but donít hold it as a sacrosanct if I feel the image can be improved by cropping at the printing stage.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i am guessing even the people who claim full frame or death
    and got famous for their full frames, wished they weren't such
    zealots and could crop ..
    Except for the fame part, yes I wish it didn't get me so riled up. I don't know why it is such a hot button topic for me.

It might have started in the early days printing from 35mm where I was forced to make a 20% crop decision on every print. If I wanted to crop every print, then I'd enjoy the opportunity to improve each shot - but I hated having an external arbitrary factor (the border of the easel or aspect ratio of the paper) - tell me what I could or could not show. And I was finding many negatives where what I saw in the camera is what I wanted to put on the paper.

So I solved the problem for myself by making wide, uneven borders. This evolved to black borders.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I decide on my aspect ratio and print borders before I set up the camera. The subject I am working with determines the shape of the final print and its own framing. Only rarely do those coincide with 4x5-inch film and the lens selection I have.

For me, the world doesn't come in little 4x5-inch packages (or squares or any other aspect ratio for that matter). That means that I crop to get the print I visualized most of the time.

I don't use cropping as a matter of course to improve a bad composition. I will, however, sometimes defer my final decision on where to place a particular border till I get into the darkroom; it is often less hectic to do so when dealing with cold, wind, moving subjects, changing light, etc. in the field. I'll leave a little breathing room around the image and refine it later if I can.

Were I shooting slides or transparencies where there were no cropping possibilities in post-production, I would try to make the best composition I could within the limits of the medium. I shoot negative film and print in the darkroom, so the possibilities for image shape are practically limitless. I see no reason not to use them. I have yet, however, to make a print with curved borders.... I have made a round one or two though.

Best,

Doremus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doremus: You have a wonderful portfolio-I particularly admire Zabriskie Point. I notice most of your prints are 11x14" mounted in 16x20" frames. How did you decide on these measurements? Do you equalize the space on opposite borders?

Shooter
    35mm
    The thread that wouldn't die. . . .

How I solved this issue for myself is by looking at the work of people whose work I like, and doing what they did. For me, that resulted in an undeniable conclusion about the results of the two systems as it related to me. Any time this question comes up, and it comes up quite often in different places, I look at the work of those who post, and I still come to the same conclusion I did originally, so that's the way I work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    The thread that wouldn't die. . . .

How I solved this issue for myself is by looking at the work of people whose work I like, and doing what they did. For me, that resulted in an undeniable conclusion about the results of the two systems as it related to me. Any time this question comes up, and it comes up quite often in different places, I look at the work of those who post, and I still come to the same conclusion I did originally, so that's the way I work.
    So you found a personal solution from users here? That's great.

There are times when I try something new based on encouragement here or experimentation that's outside my usual standard. Land of the Dinosaurs and Eclipse for example I stray from standards. Eclipse I also stray from my standard "No Cropping" guidelines because the image demanded special treatment. I don't resent that it's different.

I wish I could be like Doremus Scudder, free of the baggage that blocks me into a black rectangle... But I don't want to do what Diane Arbus did when she got fed up with black borders. Although the look of her later soft edges is beautiful, I don't want to copy just to follow her.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin