Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,296   Online: 916

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Image cropping, Yes or No?

Do you try to compose in the viewfinder and not crop in the darkroom? I try to, but don’t hold it as a sacrosanct if I feel the image can be improved by cropping at the printing stage.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Does it really matter?

I'm sure most of us try to get it right in the camera. I'm sure most of us crop when we print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually try to stick to the whole negative when I print, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't crop from time to time. Only the other night I was "playing" with some lith and trying various heavy crops - especially "panoramic" from 6x6 negs. Don't feel guilty about it at all.
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Virtually always. Maximize the composition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As an obligate contact printer, I don't have much choice. I can crop at print time, but only to a size that makes sense to print---that is, I might print only a 5x7 crop of an 8x10 negative, or whatever. I try to avoid doing that, though.

For the folks with enlargers, or for finishing in d*g*t*l, it seems like one would want to plan for a little bit of a buffer zone at the borders, right? You can always say "oops, I didn't realize that sign was sticking in at the edge" and crop a little bit, but you can't do the opposite and recover a little bit from beyond the edge of the negative!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I make that decision when I make the sheet and think about printing..

Shooter
    35mm
    I try, but fail most of the time. I'm not Bresson.

I will not let ego ruin a shot if it needs cropping.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't like to crop, but I will if I have to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure. Why not?

If I am contact printing then where and how I crop will effect the final size, but if I feel it makes for a stronger picture I would do it without giving it a thought.

It is interesting though, whenever I am running around shooting with one of my Barnacks I sense myself trying harder to frame things exactly the way I want, more so than with any other camera. I can probably chalk that up to a subconscious thought about HCB.

But even then I often find ways to strengthen that picture later by cropping. Visualizing the dynamic scene is often a different experience for me than when I am looking at the contact print and visualizing a finished picture on the wall.

Obviously I have not yet reached the visual sophistication of St. Ansel or HCB.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
    Virtually always. Maximize the composition.
    +1. I confess to being (almost) fanatical about cropping in camera/full-frame printing (dogmatic and doctrinaire, and a few less flattering things,I've been called by a few insecure types). If some distracting detail - that I somehow missed - finds its way into a photograph, the image will never be printed, instead finding itself consigned to the pile of rejects/misses.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Page 1 of 21 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin