Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,332   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is there any chance that the enlarger is set up for 120V?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Then the lamp would have been blown immidiately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably had a PH140 in it. The PH140 could be confused as a 'home illumination' light bulb by an uneducated tree-hugger or beaurocrat, so they might someday get banned. Currently they are easy to find and inexpensive, so you can stock up.They don't last very long. Average life only 35 hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My durst 4x5 pro had a ph213 bulb in in, popped after just a few test prints when I got it. Rated life: 3 hrs LOL I ended up switching to a lower wattage bulb, longer printing times but less heat, and much longer life.

Sometimes newer bulbs just arent good out of the box, I got a brand new set of bathroom mirror compact fluorescents that were pretty pricey as they have a tiny screw in base, and out of a new pack of 4, 1 died after 1 day. It happens, but its also good practice to try and not touch any bulbs that can get really hot with bare hands as the oils can affect them.

Also, one time in my darkroom class a student slid a LPL6700 head up the column way to fast, and after hitting the top of if the bulb popped, and its filament was broken. So shock is a factor too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all! I see there is a lot to know on this topic as well. The lamp was a P3/3 ES, 220v/75W, like this one:

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co...arger-lamp-75w

It looks just like the PH140. It´s not halogen, is it? Maybe there is a better alternative/version? I could not find anything with lower wattage. If it´s like this I guess I´ll just have to stock-up a pile and especially find a place where to buy them locally.

Shooter
    35mm
    Actually, I called the store where I bought the enlarger and the lamp is not the P3/3, but the PH-140 as ic-racer posted. I'm now trying to find a local source of these lamps, but it looks almost hopeless. I'll end up spending a lot of money in shipping...I didn' t know this enlarger-lamp issue was so complicated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Beseler 670 also uses the PH-140. The bulbs are so cheap here, I don't mind replacing them, but you don't want to be right in the middle of an important project and "ping" out goes the bulb.

I wonder if there is an LED option? Probably would cost an arm and a leg....

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, I was also wondering about a LED. How long does the PH-140 last for you on average?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    40-100 hours? hard to tell exactly. Quite a while. I never timed it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The 120-volt PH-140 is rated for 35 hours of average bulb-on time.

http://www.replacementlightbulbs.com/lampph140_75w.html (120-volt version)

According to this, the 230-volt PH-1400 is rated for 50 hours.

http://store.khbphotografix.com/PH14...mp-6-pack.html ($15/bulb)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin