Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,113   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Changes in exposure time using Ilford MG system with LPL colour head

Hi,

I'm using an LPL 7700 Pro colour head, and dialing in the multigrade settings. When I went from grade 3 to 3.5 today I had to add about a half stop to the exposure time. Is that usual? Ilford's info states that using the yellow and magenta channels should reduce this problem. They also state exposure times should remain constant till grade 4. I am wondering whether the developer had started to expire or something, but I don't think it was that.

I was using MG IV RC paper and Ilford MG developer.

Thanks!

Jez

Shooter
    35mm
    This hasn't been my experience. I am assuming you are using the Ilford multigrade dual filtration settings and if so the difference between grade 3 and grade 3.5 is very little. Have a look at Ralph Lambrecht's Darkroom Magic website where he lists the changes necessary when changing grades. From grade 3 to grade 3.5 the increase in exposure is 1.12 - nowhere near the 1.5 which is half a stop extra exposure.

I also think you may be confused between colour head dual filtration and Ilford multigrade filters. With these the exposure stays the same for grades 00 to 3.5 then doubles for grades 4-5.

I use a Durst enlarger but I don't think this matters. The increase in exposure that R Lambrecht's has worked out applies as far as I know to all enlargers using dual filtration settings. I take it that you are using the dual settings that Ilford recommends for LPL enlargers. Ilford has given settings for different groups of enlargers. You need to be sure that you are using the correct settings for the LPL group

If the developer is fresh and your colour head filters are working properly then I am puzzled about needing an extra half stop.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of the "speed matching" systems suffer from one important limitation - the sensitivity is matched for only a single tone. So the results you obtain will depend heavily on whether the predominant or most important tone in the scene is the same as the tone that is speed matched.

The Ilford filters seem to be speed matched on a mid-gray tone. IIRC, Ralph Lambrecht's suggestions are speed matched on more of a highlight tone.

In any case, the speed matching will get you part way, but additional test prints will most likely be needed.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've experienced the same thing. Seems like every step up after 2 or 3 needs a little more exposure. I am using Kodak MG filters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to Ilford, there should be no difference until after grade 3, then you need to add at least one stop more between 3 and 4 and another between 4 and 5. The half stop more exposure added is right on target with this.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    According to Ilford, there should be no difference until after grade 3, then you need to add at least one stop more between 3 and 4 and another between 4 and 5. The half stop more exposure added is right on target with this.
    That's not how I read Ilford's paragraph on the subject, which goes like this:

MULTIGRADE filters are very easy to use: no complicated calculations are needed when changing from one filter to another. The exposure time for filters 00–3 1/2 is the same; that for filters 4–5 is double. The change in exposure doesn't occur until you're past 3 1/2, and there's no change between 4 & 5 (both are 2x the 3 1/2 filter). At least that's how I read it, not speaking from experience.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...0201152306.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    All of the "speed matching" systems suffer from one important limitation - the sensitivity is matched for only a single tone. So the results you obtain will depend heavily on whether the predominant or most important tone in the scene is the same as the tone that is speed matched.

The Ilford filters seem to be speed matched on a mid-gray tone. IIRC, Ralph Lambrecht's suggestions are speed matched on more of a highlight tone.

In any case, the speed matching will get you part way, but additional test prints will most likely be needed.
    Ah men. They are matched for middle grey. I usually print for matching whites and increases are necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeztastic View Post
    Hi,

I'm using an LPL 7700 Pro colour head, and dialing in the multigrade settings. When I went from grade 3 to 3.5 today I had to add about a half stop to the exposure time. Is that usual? Ilford's info states that using the yellow and magenta channels should reduce this problem. They also state exposure times should remain constant till grade 4. I am wondering whether the developer had started to expire or something, but I don't think it was that.

I was using MG IV RC paper and Ilford MG developer.

Thanks!

Jez
    Are you are using the "Kodak" table in the Ilford literature that goes from (162Y/0M) to (0Y/150M)?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Plus 1
    the big jump is when you hit G4

Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

Ah, this is useful information. This may have been the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin