Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,683   Online: 895

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Ahhh, that makes more sense. Kaiser do make decent kit and are still in business if you need any spares of course.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Negative Carrier and Glass Plate

thankfully! And I met a guy in a shop called MR Cad in Victoria, Alex (store owner) who is an avid Kaiser user. Apparently he is the guy who creates all of the inserts for Kaiser. So if I need any spares or repairs I have somewhere to go!

So my glass looks pretty clear to me. At least I can't see any visible sign of frosting. I take it it's not ANG?
    I'm going to run with both hands...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clear or uncoated is not ANG. I'm a non ANG user and have never encountered the rings on any format.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrybro View Post
    Clear or uncoated is not ANG. I'm a non ANG user and have never encountered the rings on any format.
    Is it worth using the glass on 35mm?
    I'm going to run with both hands...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It would depend on how the enlarger is built and how warm the negative gets, how snugg the negative seats in it holder and how critical you are. Testing the difference is easy enough.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would advocate glassless.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are not experiencing negative popping and your current carrier can hold the neg flat enough, then no glass is ok. If you do have a hot lamp, long exposures and the negative is moving during the exposure then you need glass or another way to keep the neg from moving.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Plastic scratches easily and can bow due to differential heat or humidity changes. Not a good idea. Use high quality glass on both sides. You
    can get something like this the appropriate size, either plain or antinewton, from Focal Point. It is very difficult to keep a neg flat without glass,
    so you might encounter a loss of critical sharpness or even some incidence of double-imaging. Some people get away with the glassless method,
    by either short printing times or a cool light source. I always use glass.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Oh.... and Antinewton is not a frosting, but a totally clear pattern. Get the real deal if you need it. Here in my foggy coastal climate, I have to use antinewton glass routinely, for all format sizes. On relatively slick film like TMX, Delta, or ACROS, and all color film, I have to use AN on BOTH
    sides. If you have the correct type, it won't affect sharpness, even below the neg.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydebruyne View Post
    My carrier is metal, the inserts are plastic. I use a Kaiser VCP6001.
    Hi, check you carrier again, I just did and it's made of plastic, a high quality plastic but plastic nevertheless

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin