Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,033   Online: 954

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If you have blemishes on one print, then no blemishes on the next print from the same negative, then it isn't a problem due to the film processing.

Something in your workflow is causing bits of stuff to fall on to the printing paper. I would follow the suggestions that Doremus has given above, and would also thoroughly clean the outside of your enlarger, your easel, and any paper safe or other container that you use for your paper.

Don't do the cleaning immediately before printing - you need to give the dust some time (~ 1 hour?) to settle afterwards.

What sort of ventilation do you have in your darkroom? If there is a fair bit of a breeze, it might be stirring up dust.

And 18 hours at a time might be a bit long
    Matt, believe me 18 hrs was a one off. I was just determined not to throw out developer and stop after just a couple prints! I'm stingey like that..

Room has virtually no ventilation other then me opening the door to escape every now and then for fresh air.

Not printing again for a few days so I can read a bit more
    I'm going to run with both hands...

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydebruyne View Post
    Room has virtually no ventilation other then me opening the door to escape every now and then for fresh air.
    You must care for ventilation.
    A figure that comes up in context with ventilation of a photo-lab is 8x times exchange of the room air volume per hour.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    throw out developer and stop after just a couple prints
    You don't need to do this. Stop lasts a while although it is so cheap not necessary to keep too long. paper developer I find is perfectly useable if bottled after a session up to a week. I questioned Simon from Ilford on this some time ago and he confirmed that under normal conditions you are unlikely to be able to notice any difference after a few days. Obviously it does go off as it oxidizes and is used. Try some tests yourself with new v re-used and see if you can spot any difference

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    You must care for ventilation.
    A figure that comes up in context with ventilation of a photo-lab is 8x times exchange of the room air volume per hour.
    I'm gonna get a chemical ventilation mask I think as I have no source for natural ventilation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
    You don't need to do this. Stop lasts a while although it is so cheap not necessary to keep too long. paper developer I find is perfectly useable if bottled after a session up to a week. I questioned Simon from Ilford on this some time ago and he confirmed that under normal conditions you are unlikely to be able to notice any difference after a few days. Obviously it does go off as it oxidizes and is used. Try some tests yourself with new v re-used and see if you can spot any difference
    I hear conflicting information and I went with the majority who say to discard it after every session. Stop too. I keep the fixer for 7 days as per ilfords instructions.

In reply to somebody else's comment earlier in this thread, I never use the same chemicals for film and print.

I think I might try your suggestion regarding stop as I'm nearly out of it.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm gonna get a chemical ventilation mask I think as I have no source for natural ventilation.
    That might be overkill or at least uncomfortable. And no lab works with natural Ventilation.
    Consider a ventilator. Installed (or leading to) in a wall, in a window, or in a casing installed in the gap of a half-open window.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    That might be overkill or at least uncomfortable. And no lab works with natural Ventilation.
    Consider a ventilator. Installed (or leading to) in a wall, in a window, or in a casing installed in the gap of a half-open window.
    Hmmm, might have to look into it. Cheers AgX

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I hear conflicting information and I went with the majority who say to discard it after every session
    This is what Simon from Ilford said when I asked about reusing paper developer

We are not really selling ourselves short.....yup it will last at least a week made up ( probably a bit longer ) in a correctly stoppered bottle. The issue is that it will slowly deteriorate, and as TKamiya correctly assets you will fail to get optimum performance and D.Max. As always when working with any chemistry ( from any manufacturer ) you need to see what works for you and your work flow versus maximum efficiency / quality and cost. All our TI sheets always guide toward ultimate performance from a quality perspective.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    My experience is that paper developer that has only been used on a few sheets, that is put back into a stoppered bottle and reused a few days up to a week later is indistinguishable from fresh. As I seldom print more than 6-8 8x10s or 9x12s a session, I often reuse developer for a second session.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I hear conflicting information and I went with the majority who say to discard it after every session. Stop too.
    I usually dump developer at the end of a session unless I know I'm going to printing again the next day. As for stop, it doesn't get much cheaper than citric acid A teaspoon per litre of water is sufficient.

Shooter
    35mm
    As a temporary source of ventilation (for a temporary spare-bedroom . . . errrm . . . I mean darkroom) I put a big column-mounted electric-fan inside the 'darkroom' and pointing at the open doorway every time I went out to take a print to the washer. It isn't ideal obviously, but it made a noticeable difference - helped by having to open the door so often of course. Optimistically, I hoped that blowing air out of the room would create a less vigorous dust-circulation than blowing air inwards from the corridor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin