Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,278   Online: 798

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries

RO9 developer and standing development

I am about to try some standing development using RO9 - any information would be welcomed. I have set up a chart as I experiment with dilutions ( starting at 1:100) and amount of standing times so that I can keep track of outcomes and preferences.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    my golden rules:
    - 1+100 (5+500 / 10+1000)
    - 20C or 24C doesn't seem to make much difference
    - make sure there's at least 5ml of dev per 135 or 120 or 4x5, mostly that limits to 1-2 rolls or sheets per tank.
    - Invert 3-4 times only at the start, and never again (if you invert a second time after 5 mins, or after 45 mins it doesn't matter much when, but you'll risk blowing highlights depending on how high you exposed)
    - After 1 hour the dev is mostly exhausted anyway, 2 hours or overnight won't do much extra (I only do longer if the tank is full).
    - Experiment.

In short, the whole point of a stand is to locally-exhaust the developer around the highlights, then give it extra time working on the shadows. Semi-stand will mix it all up and start again so you get double the working on the highlights and they could blow out. If you don't touch ityou can theoretically leave it for days and you'll get the same result (but I haven't tried).
    Also, having the dev closer to room temperature is best by my theorising. If the dev is a lot hotter or colder than ambient, eddy currents will start to happen. If the dev is the same as the air, it'll stay perfectly still which is what you want.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Thanks so much. I did develop a couple of rolls but used a slightly more concentrated solution ( 10ml:707 ml) and more initial agitation. The rolls are drying but you can easily guess the results. I will try your advice and hope for better results.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The P-aminophenol is not a fine grain developer.

The ambient needs to be close to process temperature.

The initial agitation is optional if you never get bubbles.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin